At AstraZeneca, we are treating Scientific Computing as a strategic asset underpinning our advances in science. Leading-edge research strategies critically depend on elites Computing capabilities and high-energy engineering teams supporting them.
The Scientific Computing Platform (SCP) is AstraZeneca's state-of-the-art computing environment to pursue today's and tomorrows in-silico challenges. It strongly focuses on a platform concept, building capabilities and services around central building blocks. At its heart, it uses 3 compute environments, a classical InfiniBand/Slurm HPC cluster, an Openstack private cloud as well as various public clouds for elasticity and scale. To exploit these resource pools most efficiently, the SCP is deploying strong DevOps tooling and cloud-native technologies. It aims to adjust and adapt according to changing requirements and follow the science.
The engineers and architects in the SCP team are key to continuously deliver and support this critical capability.
We are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious and independently working Scientific Computing engineer to join our global team. If you combine a DevOps way of working with a strong enterprise-ready service mindset, problem-solving, excitement for technology and interest in accelerating science, then you are in good company.
You will be engaged in a variety of activity stretching from daily operations and development, exciting technology exploration and strategic project delivery. You will own parts of the platform, drive its operational excellence, prioritize the development backlog and craft the roadmap. Whether your interest is more operations or development focused, classical HPC or cloud computing, in hardware or applications, our team is operating the whole stack. Everyone on the team takes responsibility for our success.
Based in one of the science hub sites, you will become a trusted partner to our Science community, ensuring that we deliver technology on the highest standards to enable and push their work to the next level. Being able to translate their needs into efficient solutions and applying engineering excellence to make science successful, will be your daily reward.
We are operating the SCP as a single global team with shared responsibilities. You will join an agile and hardworking team of technologists who share excitement for High-Performance & Big Compute, modern technology stacks and their application in science to change the life of patients. To us, teammates are people who have humility, feel accountable for their work (and their teams), as well as the ability and willingness to be a leader of something.
Living and breathing technology is a key factor to enable us to keep pace with the life-changing ideas of AstraZeneca's scientists.
Desired Skills & Background
* Strong evidence of hands-on experience operating, crafting or engineering large-scale computing environments, such as HPC, HTC or BC, preferably Life Sciences (e.g. Pharmaceutical Industry, BioTech)
* Hands-on experience working in a DevOps teams and using agile methodologies
* Providing scientific software support for end-users: configuring, installing, tuning and maintaining such software
* Proven experience of using configuration management (e.g. ansible, salt, puppet) and technology frameworks (e.g. easybuild) in IT operations
* Scripting and tool development for HPC & DevOps style platform operations using bash and Python
* Operation and configuration of public cloud computing infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP) is a plus
* Managing a virtualized private cloud environment (e.g. OpenStack) is a plus
* Container technology (e.g. LXD, Singularity, Kubernetes) is a plus
* Demonstrated development experience with a variety of programming languages, tools, and technologies (Java/C++, Python/Ruby/Perl, SQL, AWS) is a plus
* Bachelor's degree required. Focus in Computational, Physical or Biological Science, Engineering or equivalent area preferred. Masters or PhD is a plus.
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing remarkably well, and the impact of our older products decline is starting to reduce. And, with the potential of our pipeline and new medicines, we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a phenomenal fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca is a global science-led biopharmaceutical company specializing in the discovery, development, manufacturing, and marketing of prescription medicines.