Ensures proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user help requests. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level. Also provides end user training and assistance where required.
* Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
* Field incoming help requests from end users via both telephone and e-mail in a courteous - Customer Service Oriented manner.
* Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information, schedule and detailed nature of problem or issue.
* Build rapport and elicit problem details from help desk customers. Always assist the customer by exceeding expectations regardless of the issue or problem.
* Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician or management.
* Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution in the appropriate knowledge base and ticket.
* Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
* Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
* Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
* Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
* Install anti-virus software.
* Designs and programs custom reports, custom menus and configurations as needed.
* Troubleshoots application problems, contacting the vendor when necessary.
* Performs preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals.
* Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
* Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
* Provides computer room Operations support.
* Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for end users.
* Keep all work areas clear.
College Diploma in Computer Science Preferred or Bachelor's in Computer Science
Additional Educational Requirements
College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science.
7 Related Experience Preferred
Additional Experience Requirements
7 years equivalent work experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
MCP Preferred or A+ certification Preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Knowledge of basic computer hardware. Experience with desktop and server operating systems. Extensive application support experience. Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities. Good understanding of the organization's goals and objectives. Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills. Strong documentation skills. Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required. Ability to absorb and retain information quickly. Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language. Highly self-motivated and directed. Keen attention to detail. Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Exceptional customer service orientation.
Works in a normal office environment with frequent visits to all systems departments and facilities. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
No expected exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting - Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds - Occasionally
Typing/Filing - Occasionally
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.