The Peralta Community College District is a two-year college system, dedicated to providing comprehensive educational and community services to the communities it serves, including the cities of Albany, Alameda, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and Piedmont California. The District enrolls over 25,000 students in a broad range of transfer and occupational curricula. The colleges in the District include College of Alameda, Laney College, Merritt College and Berkeley City College, which operate under the governance of a seven- member Board of Trustees and are administered by a Chancellor/Superintendent.
The Peralta Colleges proudly offers a competitive and comprehensive core of work-life benefits. The value of the employer contribution towards your benefits may increase your total compensation by as much as 47%. Benefit-eligible employees have access to coverage for themselves and eligible dependents:
* Medical, dental, vision, prescription drug insurance coverage*
* Life insurance of 150% of your income up to $100,000.
* Long-term disability coverage.
* Employee Assistance Program.
In addition to your own contribution, Peralta also contributes 18.062% of your salary to the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). Effective January 1, 2013, the PEPRA (Public Employees' Pension Reform Act) went into effect. Changes have been implemented as a result of the adoption of this legislation that impact new and existing employees enrolled in CalPERS. A summary of those changes is available at http://www.calpers.ca.gov/eip-docs/employer/program-services/summary-pension-act.pdf. For further up to date information on CalPERS retirement eligibility and PEPRA, please visit the website at www.calpers.com www.calpers.ca.gov/. The CalPERS member handbook is available at http://www.calpers.ca.gov/eip-docs/about/pubs/member/your-benefits-your-future-school-benefits.pdf., please visit the website at www.calpers.com. After 10 years of creditable service, medical benefits in retirement are extended until age 65.
Other voluntary benefits include:
* Flexible benefit plan participation in the Medical Reimbursement Plan, Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan (under tax code 125)
* Pre-tax commuting expenses (under IRS code 132)
* Tax-deferred plan participation in the 403(b) and 457 plans
* Credit union membership
* Prepaid legal plan participation
* Additional Life Insurance for yourself, spouse or children
* Kaiser and United Health Care Dental are fully paid by the District. Other plans require employee contribution. Subject to change.
Job Title Help Desk Support Technician I (Trainee) INTERNAL POSTING Time Base 40 Hours/Week, 12 Months/Year Compensation Salary Range: $4,010 - $4,881/Month, Hiring Range: $4,010 - $4,417/Month - The maximum initial placement is Step 3 depending on experience. Position Type Classified Department Information Technology(DP) (115) Job Description Summary
This vacancy is open ONLY to current regular and hourly employees who are members of SEIU Local 1021. Per new Article 8.7 of the Local 1021 hourly contract, this job is being posted for ten (10) working days.
Under immediate supervision, the Help Desk Support Technician I (Trainee) provides basic initial technical support to the college and District Office computer users. Performs a variety of basic technical help desk support duties.
Duties & Responsibilities
Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do listed examples include all tasks which may be found in positions of this class. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
* Responds to user questions and inquiries via telephone, email, web and other communication methods.
* Enters, assigns and tracks service requests in the on-line work-order system. Refers service issues to IT management.
* Provides technical support and solves the basic and more advanced routine user hardware and software problems or questions including desktop computer hardware and software and enterprise system software.
* Provides professional, courteous, prompt and accurate support and solutions to users.
* Communicates, analyzes and troubleshoots routine user problems and provides proper solutions or remedies.
* Properly documents problem ticket into on-line Help Desk System.
* Assist in establishing priorities on Help Desk tickets based on established help desk and departmental guidelines and procedures.
* Updates Help Desk database information.
* Follows up and communicates ticket information to users when appropriate.
* Creates and administers user accounts, passwords, and privileges/rights as assigned and directed by system administrators.
* Assists with desktop and laptop imagining and installation as needed.
* Assists in the operations of enterprise systems as needed
* Assists in user accounts creation and updates as needed
* Follows help desk and departmental guidelines and operating procedures.
* Work closely with senior help desk and other IT staff to acquire additional technical and non-technical knowledge.
* Performs other related duties as required.
1. Completion of an Associate's Degree from an accredited college in computer science, computer information systems or a related field; or an equivalent combination of training and relevant work experience may be substituted for training/experience on a year-for-year basis.
2. Knowledge of principles and operations of computer systems and related peripheral equipment.
3. Ability to analyze and troubleshoot users problems via the telephone.
4. Ability to maintain knowledge of current technology and able to learn new technology.
5. Ability to communicate professionally, accurately and effectively in both verbal and written, as well as on the telephone.
6. Ability to understand and respond to user questions in an effective and courteous manner.
7. Ability to convey technical procedures and directions in layman's terms
8. Proficiency with operating systems, including Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP and MacIntosh's operating systems.
9. Proficiency in the operation and use of personal computers, utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, and database management software programs (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.), the Internet browser, websites and e-mail systems.
10. Good knowledge and understanding of networking and personal computer hardware.
11. Applicant must have demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college staff, faculty, and students.
* Some experience in performing help desk/operations functions or assisting users with computer problems or questions in person.
* A+ and/or MOUS certification and other industry recognized network certifications.
* Experience in troubleshooting PC software and hardware.
* Experience in working with non-technical users.
* Occasional work performed alone
* Constant work around and with people
* Seeing to view a computer monitor.
* Seeing to read various materials.
* Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
* Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
* Lifting objects up to 35 lbs.
* Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
* Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
* Carrying, pushing or pulling.
Tools & Equipment Used
* Standard Office Equipment.
Application Deadline Date June 27, 2019 Open Date 06/13/2019
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* * How did you find out about the position?
* Asian Week
* California Community College Chancellor's Office website
* Career Builder
* Chronicle of Higher Education website
* Chronicle of Higher Education newspaper
* Community College Jobs Website
* Community College Times
* Diverse Issues in Higher Education
* El Mundo
* Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
* Job Fair, Conference or Workshop
* Local Newspaper (Oakland Tribune, SF Chronicle, ect)
* Oakland Post
* Peralta Jobs Website
* Walk-In (PCCD Office of Human Resources)
* Women in Higher Education
* Word of Mouth
* 24-Hour Job Line
* If you chose "Other" as your answer for the above question, please provide details
(Open Ended Question)
* * Are you a current regular or hourly employee of the Peralta Community College District and a member of SEIU Local 1021? OR are you an SEIU hourly employee with an assignment end date that occurred within the last nine months?
* List of References
* Other Document
* Cover Letter
* Training/Certification Document