At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Onboard systems software at ATG is one of several critical components of the overall ATG software stack, and represents the foundation on which all on-vehicle software is built. To ensure the success of this critical component of the ATG software stack, Head of Systems Software will provide single-threaded engineering leader to drive this space.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Drive the future direction of our onboard software infrastructure platform
* Direct the selection, integration and evolution of core operating system software and related components supporting the core onboard autonomy software stack;
* Establish direction for onboard sensor integration, management, troubleshooting, calibration and lifecycle maintenance
* Maintain and enhance the security posture of our onboard software stack to protect onboard operations and repel emerging threats
* Drive onboard systems instrumentation, analysis and performance engineering to make the most of the available platform
* Establish and execute internal direction regarding open source projects, contributions and related activities
* Grow the team and the careers of individual contributors, hire the best and brightest
* Enable overall success of ATG activities via thought leadership and active mentoring
What You'll Need
* Min 15 years of total experience in Systems / Embedded Software Engineering with 7+ years in Leadership roles
* Deep Experience in one or more of the following areas - OS Development, Build and Deployment, Log Data Storage, ROS / Mobile OS (Android /IOS) / Windows / MAC OS, Embedded Software, Systems Software, Software Integtration & Deployment to Cars / Vehicles / Security / Interfaces
* Experience in leading and growing teams of 50 -100
* Deep past experience and proficiency in operating system software development, statistics, machine learning, and big data
Bonus Points If you have
* Demonstrated people management experience at scale. Managing managers and senior engineering staff
* Ability to work beyond the core operating system discipline to grasp understand how the rest of the autonomy stack fits together
* Proven ability to rapidly adapt to new technologies, company directions and societal demands
* Passion and a sense of ownership over all that you direct, own and manage
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.