Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company's platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world's 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes' Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine's 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we're looking for:
You're excited to lead a team of developers to build out an amazing product for the video game industry. You take pride in doing things the "right" way and you're willing to build and mentor a talented development team. You're excited to play a key role in product development and you're eager to work closely with both the product team and a beta-user community to perfect our product. You love the idea of working at a startup because it means your fingerprints will be on everything we build.
What you'll do:
* Work with the management team to lead engineering planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives, timetables, implementation and deployment of product
* Work with the Product team to set goals and technical initiatives which you'll lead to delivery dates.
* Recruit, hire and motivate world class engineers to build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other.
* Effectively coach, mentor and guide the technical and professional development of the members of the team.
* Define and improve department processes and policies for delivering high-availability production systems
* Have successfully managed a team of 3 or more infrastructure engineers for 3+ years, with 5+ years of technical experience (Dev Ops or SRE).
* Experience in building, deploying and managing infrastructures in public clouds (AWS or GCP)
* Experience in delivering 99.99% availability in production environment
* Experience in Agile development methodology such as Scrum and agile development tools such as Jira
* Degree in CS or a related field or equivalent experience
* Start up experience strongly preferred
Skillz is a marketplace platform that helps players discover mobile games and compete against other players around the world.