Twitch is building the future of interactive entertainment. We work hard at Twitch to make our platform ever more efficient, resilient and responsive for our customers. Learn more at http://twitch.tv.
The Global Infrastructure (GI) Team at Twitch is looking to hire a server platform Hardware Engineer. You will be directly involved in the planning and execution of future hardware projects that leverage the latest in server technology to create an amazing live streaming experience. You'll be critical in the evaluation, configuration, and performance of the latest server technologies in video streaming from transcoding, encryption/decryption, latency reduction, and experimental platforms.
The right candidate will possess a strong ability to adapt to new technologies and products. You understand the hardware manufacturing process and datacenter logistics, i.e. power consumption, heating and cooling, network connectivity and capacity, and server lifecycle. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to consult with application teams and developers and translate their performance requests directly to the right hardware requirements, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in, and solve problems at scale.
* Build Twitch's next generation server hardware platform and standards
* Evaluate new industry compute technologies and components to maximize our streaming efficiency and throughput
* Performance test, baseline and tune existing systems, and make recommendations for improvements and process optimization
* Establish best practices and standards for hardware evaluations, requests, and datacenter implementation. Lead vendor meetings for critical component selection, deep-dive to collect relevant data, and influence their future roadmaps
* Own the hardware catalog for the enterprise and manage server lifecycle end-to-end
* 7+ years of experience in hardware engineering, manufacturing, or hardware infrastructure.
* 5+ years experience in building multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped in the hyper-competitive server platform marketplace
* 3+ years experience in qualifying HW for enterprise or hyper-scale data center space.
* Demonstrated understanding of complex failure analysis, technical post-mortem analysis, scaling, hardware component and vendor selection process
* Familiar with FPGA, ASIC, x86 processors in a transcoding environment
* Familiar with Linux kernel, IPC, and device driver model
* Experienced in delivering products against plan in a fast-paced, multi-disciplined, distributed-responsibility and often ambiguous environment
* Demonstrable understanding of Network Engineering, Data Center Operations, Hardware Manufacturing, Infrastructure Capacity Management and/or Software Platform Development
* Ability to manage complex hardware tasks, meet deadlines, and work independently.
* Proven experience in managing large scale enterprise platform and writing public technical specifications
* Demonstrated collaborative leadership abilities
* Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
* Comfort and experience with cross-organizational communication; excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Scripting/coding capability with C, GO and Python or Ruby
* Familiar with latest server architecture and components
* Familiar with ARM based microcontroller software stack
* Demonstrable knowledge of the open compute platform
* Solid foundation in service-oriented and web-service technologies to be able to understand service inter-dependencies and drive technical solutions for multi-tiered systems
* Participation in the hardware technical community, such as participating in industry conferences, engineering community events and talks
* Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
* Maternity & Parental Leave
* Flexible PTO
* Commuter Benefits
* Amazon Employee Discount
* Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
* Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
* Free Snacks & Beverages
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We're always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitch is a company that develops a social video platform and community for gamers, video game culture, and the creative arts.