What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you're a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
* America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
* Career & Development Opportunities
* Entry, Mid, Senior level
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) program is developing the next-generation weather satellite system and operating the current weather satellite constellation to provide decision quality weather data to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the nation's weather data users. Raytheon is developing, deploying, and sustaining the JPSS Command, Control, and Communications Segment (C3S), the Interface Data Processing Segment (IDPS), and the Field Terminal Segment (FTS). For more information on JPSS, see: https://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/jpss
The Mission Operations Team (MOT) of Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) is seeking a Ground Systems Engineer to provide support to the JPSS Common Ground System (CGS) operated by Raytheon at the NOAA Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) in Suitland, Maryland. This position is located at the NSOF.
The Ground Systems Engineer will be responsible for understanding the entire system to include Space/Ground links, Spacecraft, Ground Station support equipment, Data transport systems, all ground software/hardware architecture and network interfaces, especially with the White Sands Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS). The GSE will be tasked by GSE Lead and report to the Engineering & Technical Support Lead.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Major inputs to mission plans and procedure changes in context of broader operations issues.
* Coordinate, and sometimes direct technical interface, as-required, with satellite, sensor, and ground software factories.
* Part of the Mission Support Team interface for System Test development/execution.
* Participate in anomaly resolution team troubleshooting.
* Review all data on performance from the mission planner and analysts and provide analysis to team lead.
* Track related Work Requests (WR) to resolution as directed.
* Perform all tasks allocated by team leadership
* Coordinate System Upgrade technical activities.
* Ensure system resources are available to support all mission operations, training and maintenance activities.
Ability to pass a National Agency Check (NAC) in order to get a USG Common Access Card for access to the system at the satellite operations facility.
Minimum of four years experience with Satellite ground systems and supporting operations.
Experience and knowledge of complex, distributed ground systems to include satellite ground station equipment and procedures. This includes:
* Network (LAN/WAN) architecture, protocols and equipment.
* UNIX and Microsoft® Windows® 2000 domains.
* Knowledge and experience with Ground System and Satellite Operations or I&T.
* Software/system test and validation processes.
* Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) development and validation.
* Experience with Raytheon software systems (ECLIPSE ™, EQUINOX ™, ESC ™) and science data processing systems are highly desired.
Travel may be required inside and outside the Continental United States.
Normal work hours are between 8am to 5pm. however, when required, various mission activities will require a flexible work schedule, including weekends/holidays depending on mission needs.
BS Degree in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Space Operations, Computer Technology, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering and four years prior relevant
Twelve years of applicable experience in lieu of degree.
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization. 138514
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation and training solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated $6.2 billion in 2018 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
None / Not Required
Type Of Job
MD - Suitland
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.