As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will create multi-domain dynamic mathematical models for our spaceflight ground support systems. You will help to create the methods, best practices, and tools used to develop the dynamic models. You should be comfortable collaborating in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating leadership, and technical competence. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention toward safe and repeatable spaceflight.
* Design, analyze and implement the software design and programming of math models for complex closed-loop ground systems associated with launch vehicles, using first principles and test data
* Develop and implement simulation architectures and models suitable for faster than real-time Monte-Carlo analysis and real-time hardware-in-the loop (HIL) testing
* Model PLC-based control in Simulink
* Integrate PLC control hardware into a Simulink-based HIL model
* Develop and maintain model documentation and data books
* Develop software for the large-scale analysis of system and subsystem performance data
* Document and assist engineers across the company in developing the products required to implement Blue's simulations
* Support systems analysis and have a cross-functional mindset to support system level architectural decisions
* Perform analyses and validation using simulations and Monte-Carlo analysis to satisfy top-level system specifications and requirements
* Assist in the development of verification and validation procedures to ensure all dynamic model products perform as specified to meet system and subsystem requirements
* Support the development and execution of component-level test programs including integrated on-vehicle testing and post-test analysis to support model verification
* Some travel to our Florida launch complex will be required to assist with modeling and to support verification
* Educational and work experience:
* Degree and work experience in aerospace, electrical, or mechanical engineering, physics, or related discipline
* B.S. degree with 8+ years of relevant experience; or,
* M.S. degree with 3+ years of relevant experience; or,
* Ph.D. degree
* Advanced knowledge in the design, development, testing, and verification of dynamic models of physical systems; especially incompressible and compressible fluids, tank pressurization and flow dynamics, linear actuators, and thermodynamics
* Strong software and model development skills, particularly in MATLAB/Simulink
* Strong mathematical abilities
* Highly organized and capable of planning and working with technical peers across a variety of domains (e.g., mechanical, fluid, electrical)
* Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills including presenting
* Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
* Knowledge of the dynamic modeling of associated ground support system sensors and actuators, including gas dynamics, fluids, thermodynamics
* Experience with electro-mechanical, hydraulic and electrical subsystems
* Experience anchoring/fitting first principles models to test data or high-fidelity external simulations using system identification or other numerical methods
* Knowledge of the MathWorks modeling and code generation toolchains and model-based design
* Experience developing and verifying physical models for the purpose of control design, component sizing, and system performance evaluation
* Knowledge of hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing
* Ability to continuously manage risk and be comfortable with lean software development techniques
* Solid system engineering, configuration management skills
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
About Blue Origin
Blue Origin is an aerospace manufacturer and spaceflight services company.