Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Web and Graphics Designer. You will contribute to the development of complex web and graphic design projects. These projects include the design, development, and maintenance of external and internal websites as well as multimedia communication products for technical and non-technical audiences. This position is in the Technical Information Department and will be matrixed to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
* Plan, direct and coordinate production decisions on print, web, multimedia and/or presentation projects, including guidelines, techniques or procedures; oversee projects from conceptualization to completion, coordinate work with other team members; estimate time and cost, choose appropriate work methods, and set work priorities and production schedules.
* Collaborate and interact with all levels of administrative, management, and scientific staff, including other team members and clients to define, develop, and establish objectives to meet the design requirements for web and graphic design projects.
* Provide consultation to customers and carry out production assignments on web, multimedia and/or presentation projects using a varitety of computer software and tools for print and web.
* Partner with team lead to estimate time and cost and set production schedules.
* Ensure standards for quality of work are met and maintain design style and standards throughout web and graphics projects.
* Research new technology and concepts as they apply to web and multimedia design.
* Establish standards for quality of work, and provide guidance and assistance to less experienced designers, including training, mentoring, and instructing co-workers in various aspects of design and production processes.
* Solve complex technical problems and function as a technical lead, providing technical direction and guidance, demonstrating methods and procedures, performing ongoing quality control checks, making routine commitments related to assignments, and interpret guidelines and procedures.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Associate degree in graphic design or related field or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience in web and graphic design or related field.
* Ability to conceptualize and effectively design, plan, direct, and coordinate production of web and multimedia design projects while balancing creative expertise with customer objectives and requirements.
* Advanced knowledge of design methods and software programs, including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Dreamweaver, and Microsoft PowerPoint, for print and digital production.
* Experience in establishing and maintaining design integrity throughout all media, publications and campaigns.
* Understanding of Internet browser formats as they relate to web design as well as emerging web and design technologies.
* In-depth technical knowledge applying UX principles to web front-end design, with proficiency in HTML, CSS, PHP, Bootstrap, and Sketch or Adobe XD, as well as experience in a content management system, such as WordPress, Drupal, and LifeRay.
* Experience leading large web, print production and multimedia projects; and experience establishing production team commitments of cost, schedule, and quality for communication projects.
* Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team and delegate work to other team members as appropriate, including excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Experience in photography and presenting deliverables to peers and/or customers.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.