As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be involved in the development of a guidance, navigation and control (GN&C) subsystem for the Blue Moon lander. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
* Perform configuration and architecture design studies, and develop prototype GN&C subsystem solutions
* Develop guidance, navigation and control requirements with flow downs to subsystem levels and companion verification methods
* Perform analyses, including simulations, to verify system and subsystem specifications and requirements
* Develop, implement (in Matlab/Simulink/C) and test control algorithms for on-orbit attitude control using reaction control and thrust vector control systems
* Develop, implement (in Matlab/Simulink/C) and test guidance and control algorithms for de-orbit, descent, and landing on the Lunar surface
* Develop and implement (in Matlab/Simulink/C) and test guidance and control algorithms for on-orbit rendezvous and docking
* Conduct linear and non-linear stability and performance assessments including the development of the associated linear and non-linear models
* Support integration, development and analysis of the inertial and terrain relative navigation system software
* Support development of vehicle dynamics, sensors, and actuator models for 6DOF simulation
* Develop verification and validation procedures to ensure software products will perform as specified to meet system and subsystem requirements
* Support systems analysis with a cross-functional mindset to support system level architectural decisions
* Support hardware-in-the-loop testing, on-vehicle functional testing, and flight demonstration testing
* Identify opportunities for safety improvements and operational cost savings
* M.S. degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace engineering with at least 5 years of design experience
* Experience in the development and analysis of guidance and control algorithms from first principles
* Experience in both classical and modern control design techniques
* Demonstrated experience in implementation and testing of guidance, navigation and control algorithms on spacecraft or launch vehicles
* Highly organized and capable of planning and guiding complex technical work
* Demonstrated experience with MATLAB and Simulink and associated autocoding practices
* Hands-on experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing and test development
* Ability to execute in a dynamic, fast-paced and driven work environment
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
* Ph.D. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace engineering
* Demonstrated advanced knowledge in the development of planetary spacecraft GN&C systems
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience with development of descent and landing software for planetary missions
* Demonstrated knowledge of in-space rendezvous, proximity operations, and capture
* Demonstrated knowledge in vehicle state estimation using sensors such as inertial measurement unit, star trackers, and terrain relative navigation sensors
* Ability to continuously manage risk and be comfortable with lean software development techniques
* Solid system engineering and configuration management skills
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
About Blue Origin
Blue Origin is an aerospace manufacturer and spaceflight services company.