RealNetworks seeks a General Manager, Platform Engineering for Kontxt in New York
Kontxt is a revolutionary mobile messaging product from RealNetworks, offering next-generation management of text messaging on mobile networks, along with state-of-the-art spam and gray route controls. Kontxt applies machine learning capability to deliver a new level of messaging integrity, smart routing, and control for the mobile messaging industry. Kontxt leverages RealNetworks' success in Metcalf, the world's largest messaging interconnect system that boasts delivery of over 2 billion messages each day and uninterrupted service for more than a decade. Mobile Messaging services Kontxt and Metcalf are an integral part of RealNetworks' Mobile Services Division.
The GM, Platform Engineering, will lead the technical direction for Kontxt, own decision-making and technology trade-offs in applying machine learning, specifically Natural Language Processing (NLP), to classifying, categorizing, and fighting messaging fraud and abuse across major mobile messaging platforms involving distributed systems that analyze thousands of events per second. This role demands an 'outside of the box' thinker who is both creative and innovative, who is focused on achieving results and exceeding goals and objectives, and has 'can do, whatever it takes to get the job done' attitude.
Responsibilities of this leadership role include:
* Providing architectural blueprints and technical leadership across the Kontxt platform infrastructure, including software stack and systems architecture for optimal efficiency, scalability and reliability;
* Ensuring platform adaptability across deployments ranging from highly-scalable, massively parallelized environments to smaller, budget-constrained environments, and from multi-tenant cloud to on-premise and hybrid deployments;
* Managing the data science/engineering, core development, dev/ops, and systems functions, including selecting and leading the implementation of and making trade-offs decisions regarding tools and technologies, with focus on ML, NLP, and emerging open source solutions; and
* Leading an experienced engineering team, who has already had great success in implementing and maintaining a robust platform, in growing new service offerings using cutting-edge tools.
Candidates must have:
* 8+ years of highly relevant experience, including at least 4 years in full-stack software development and at least 2 years in leading the design and implementation of large-scale, complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers;
* 4+ years in an engineering/technical leadership role;
* Knowledge of ML, NLP, and emerging open source solutions and expertise in applying these tools to successful solutions;
* Demonstrated experience as the subject-matter expert in technologies such as (or similar to); Cassandra, Spark, Tensorflow, Kafka, and Flume;
* Proficiency in Object Oriented Languages, Python/R, SQL/NOSQL, database development, web-to-database connectivity, multiple operating systems, services/microservices, architectural styles and design patterns;
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities in the face of shifting priorities, demands, and project timelines;
* Strong presentation skills, and the ability to effectively communicate the business case behind technology trade-off decisions;
* Excellent communication skills (working in organizations with teams in different geographies)
* Expertise in agile development methodologies;
* Experience with database design and data modeling; and
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering or a related field (an advanced technology degree is preferred
Our ideal candidate for this role has led a agile engineering team in doing something really interesting and is ready to move to the next level/great product; speaks the language of the engineering team while being adept at presenting technical information to stakeholders at varying degrees of technical aptitude; is genuinely excited and interested in new techs; and is a highly motivated, overachiever, team player, and facilitator. This is an excellent opportunity for those who thrive in a fast-paced environment and are prone to action; who have an entrepreneurial spirit/mindset, flexibility toward dynamic change; have a direct, honest communication style; and are naturally adept at thinking strategically while maintaining focus on results and execution.
Interested? Let us know by applying here.