Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What we do
Our search engine and API enable customers to search for a place in the world, whether that's by providing a longitude and latitude pair, or by typing the name of your favorite local restaurant. The problem space is an interesting mix of geospatial data, data analysis, search algorithms, performance, and infrastructure challenges. Search is a critical component to our customers' applications, and a major partner to the Maps and Navigation organizations at Mapbox. Whether you're trying to find a place among the vast amount of data on a global map, or to find the exact location of a venue a few miles down the road, search is in the critical path of so many of our customers' experiences.
What you'll do
Mapbox is looking for a junior to mid-level database developer or GIS analyst to help build these datasets. Specifically, you will focus on our city, region, and postal boundaries. You will focus on data accuracy and expanding data coverage. You will evaluate & process data using a mix of manual and automated techniques.
You are of an analytical, organized mindset, capable of cataloging vast amounts of global geographic information, at large scale, with minute levels of detail. In this role, you can expect to:
* Collaborate with search engineers and customer-facing teams to ensure data meets their expectations for accuracy.
* Grow and maintain deep knowledge of world places, ranging from countries at the higher level, all the way down to neighborhood and address level information across the world, with special attention to known high priority places as determined by enterprise and commercial customer demands and pain points.
* Evaluate third party data sets used in Mapbox's global geographic database that backs the Mapbox search engine.
* Triage unexpected production search engine behavior reported by customers, and decipher between query, data, and search engine problems.
* Deploy data quality improvements and repairs to test and production systems, conduct quality assurance, monitor production systems for successful deployment
* Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand.
* Uphold a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* 3+ years of working experience in GIS.
* A working knowledge of QGIS, PostGIS, or similar tools to perform spatial analysis and manage geographic data.
* Familiarity with basic geographic data concerns: file format, projection, datum, character encoding, precision, accuracy.
* Programming or scripting experience (Node.js, Python, Bash, PL/PGSQL).
* Interest in using & developing automated cloud workflows. Experience with Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, or another cloud computing platform is a plus.
* Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is mapping platform for developers.