The Regents of the University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
UC Berkeley's VC Finance division is a trusted and strategic campus partner, supporting the teaching, research, and public service goals of faculty, students, and staff, financially sustainable, and providing services for the campus common good. This position is a key role in the Financial Information Systems (FIS) unit in the Controller's Office that oversees the operations of software solutions that support mission-critical applications utilized to operate the University. The FIS is based on the PeopleSoft Financials and Supply Chain Management (FSCM) product, with additional supporting applications.
The objective of the FIS unit is manage a continuous cycle of technical improvement and feature enhancements in PeopleSoft application systems and associated applications. The applications support processes including general ledger, budgeting, accounts payable, purchasing, accounts receivable, billing, a customer portal, project costing, contracts and grants. To ensure the success of these mission-critical systems, the department consists of highly skilled functional experts who will test and implement new features, respond to customer issues and campus needs, and keep all systems running optimally throughout the financial reporting cycles.
The FIS Functional Manager for Financials is involved in analyzing large-scale business processes and problems; developing solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and architecture; creating specifications for systems to meet requirements; validating requirements against needs; designing details of automated systems; developing user interface design; planning and executing unit integration and acceptance testing. May lead cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues involving the Procure to Pay and Record to Report processes..
* Plans, conducts, and coordinates the successful delivery and management of software applications/platforms for a cross-functional project team of 5-12 FTE with significant expertise in the areas of Business Systems Analysis, Data/Reporting Analysis, User Experience & Service Design, and Quality Assurance.
* Manages all planning activities feasibility studies for configuration and enhancements to PeopleSoft and associated systems, Oversees requirements gathering, feasibility, design, estimates, and schedules for prioritized efforts.
* Prepares and presents project proposals to senior campus management and user departments. Interaction frequently requires the ability to gain cooperation of others, conducting presentations of a technical information concerning specific projects and schedules. Convenes others across campus as necessary to create, explain, and disseminate financial information about FIS. Participates with high-level management in strategic thinking and planning. Develops proposals and recommendations to support discussion and decision-making.
* Establishes functional and functional documentation requirements through standardized documentation and ensures compliance through design and peer reviews.
* Monitors assignments and provides assistance for individuals to ensure tasks are completed on schedule. Manages and delegates business analysis, QA and design assignments.
* As a Service Lead for one or more defined FIS services, reviews current status of campus functions and prepares recommendations for systems improvements. Works with campus partner to prioritize and rank efforts and determine timing for delivery.
* Manage and coordinate release planning and knowledge transfer for sustaining/support services to ensure business continuity for campus users.
* Assist in functional knowledge transfer.
* Manages, through campus offices, the coordination of activities of a department with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods, and employees.
* Interviews, onboards, develops, coaches and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the team focused on module features for campus financial audiences.
* Provides direction to employees following established campus policies, functional and technical standards and management guidance.
* Develops and monitors operational processes, staff FTE, human resources and space planning.
* Manages the coordination of activities of a team with responsibility for results in terms of methods, timelines and employees. Manages and delegates team assignments to ensure quality work is completed to meet the project goals. Eliminates roadblocks and escalates issues as required.
* Administers campus policies that directly affect subordinate employees and their assignments. Establishes and recommends changes to policies which affect the department.
* Provides professional development guidance to staff
Communication & Leadership
* Interacts with peer managers across the organization. Interaction frequently requires the ability to gain cooperation of others, conducting presentations of functional information concerning specific projects and schedules.
* Prepares weekly status reports on the progress of the team.
* Represents the University of California Berkeley across multiple higher education communities such as Higher Education User Group, Customer Advisory Board, etc.
* Significant years of PeopleSoft FSCM functional implementation or upgrade experience required. Required experience includes system conversions, customizations and integration design and execution. At least a couple years of experience with version 9.2 required.
* Significant years of experience with project management practices, principles, techniques and tools.
* Experience with Agile methodology preferred.
* Superior knowledge of four (4) or more of the following PeopleSoft Modules: General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, eSupplier, eProcurement, Security, Expenses, Asset Management and Lease Accounting.
* Should have combined education or experience in both Accounting and Information Systems. The ideal candidate will have either a degree or have worked as an accountant and will have managed full cycle PeopleSoft Financials implementation projects across multiple modules. Full cycle projects include ERP software selection, implementation partner selection, requirements gathering, fit gap analysis, function design, development, testing, change management and post production support. Degree in Information Systems a plus.
* Has expert knowledge of policies, processes, procedures, practices, and ERP systems that support financial functions in an organization of similar size and complexity.
* Requires the ability to identify, analyze, and report on data that is complex in nature.
* Must be able to communicate complex information to management (both technical and non-technical) in a clear and concise manner that is appropriate for the target audience in both written and verbal formats.
* Strong written communication demonstrated in review of functional specs and functional proposals.
* Demonstrates values of excellence, innovation and integrity.
* Advanced analytical/problem-solving skills.
* Ability to multi-task with demanding time frames.
* Demonstrates superior strategic-thinking and facilitation skills in guiding people/units toward workable strategies and solutions.
* Ability to focus on priorities, strategies, and vision.
* Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality
* Superior knowledge of accounting practices and principles required.
* Superior knowledge of PeopleSoft Query tool and PeopleSoft Financials table structure required
* Proven ability to teach, train and lead others.
* Three (3) years of supervisory experience preferred.
* Sustained, proven pattern of meeting deadlines while maintaining a high quality product required.
* Continuous learner who stays at the forefront of their technical field.
* Bachelors degree in either Accounting or Information Systems and/or equivalent experience/training
* Project management certification such as CSM, PMI-PMP, PMI-ACP, CSP, CSPO SAFe Agilist a plus
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About The Regents of the University of California
The Regents of the University of California is the governing board of the University of California.