Full-Stack Tech Lead, Growth Team
Labs @ EF Tours
Cambridge, MA, USA
Who we are and what we do:
Labs @ EF Tours is the group of engineering and creative professionals empowering EF to send groups of students and educators on guided educational tours across the world. We power every step of our customer's journey with us, from showcasing our many tour offerings and personalized itineraries on the web, through to collecting feedback after the tour. Over the course of your career with us, you'll have the opportunity to try your hand at everything from building beautiful customer front end interactions, to solving large scale data optimization problems, and everything in between.
What you'll do:
You will lead a small, cross-functional, largely autonomous engineering team (of around 4 developers) working closely with other developers, designers and a product manager in building modern websites, web apps and tools within our larger web ecosystem. As a technical lead, you will have end-to-end ownership of the architecture, technical roadmap and projects, from brainstorming and design through to testing, release and maintenance. You will be expected to ensure the software we write is universally high quality, and to support your developers through mentorship, feedback, code reviews, and advancement of internal tools and processes.
In short, you will be doing things like:
* Mentoring developers working with React, Node.JS, Docker, MongoDB and REST APIs in implementing new microservices from the ground up in an efficient and sustainable AWS ecosystem
* Creating and executing the technical strategy and roadmap
* Setting an architectural vision and direction for the team, anticipating scaling-related and technical challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
* Diving deep into the core of our CMS and most important systems to help refine, refactor, and in some cases, re-implement them
* Contributing to the craft of software development by discussing new technologies, patterns and tools, and sharing best practices across the engineering organization
* Identifying and addressing performance issues
Who you are:
You are passionate and thrive in a collaborative environment. You get excited about new technology and new approaches to enhancing the quality and value of the software you deliver.
We're looking for:
* 6+ years of industry experience developing web applications in any modern web framework, such as Express (or demonstrable skills in another equivalent stack)
* Deep knowledge of a popular and strongly typed language, like Java or C#, applied in a professional environment developing applications for re-use and scale
* Previous success architecting from scratch, shipping and maintaining a large-scale web application backed by a CMS
* Passion for leveraging the best of breed technology, and an aptitude for learning and using new technologies
Other useful skills include:
* Experience with Sitecore (or another popular CMS)
* Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodologies
* Knowledge of modern front-end frameworks and libraries such as React
* Knowledge of managing AWS infrastructure as code (preferably with Terraform)
* Experience with GraphQL using frameworks such as Apollo
* Enthusiasm to work anywhere in the stack, especially in unfamiliar areas
* Enthusiasm for modern DevOps practices (including containerization and Kubernetes deployments)
Benefits and perks:
We believe that happy people do great work. What makes us happy? Things like:
* The opportunity to travel internationally with our customers (and without too, of course)
* Three weeks paid vacation your first year, and four weeks after your first year
* Free in-house language classes
* Free in-house workout classes
* A restaurant and bar right inside our building
* Discounts on EF products including our travel and language programs
* Market-leading benefits package including top of the line family health coverage, 401k with company match, tuition reimbursement, and more
EF is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and if there is anything we can do to create a more comfortable interview experience for you, please let us know.
About Education First
Education First is an international education company that specializes in language training, educational travel, academic degree programs, and cultural exchange.