Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is recruiting for a Mid-level Level XP Software Engineer to join our Agile XP Engineering team in Chicago. Our common goal is to build digital products that support the Allstate Roadside Services strategy. This team will engineer software all day, every day, on a full-stack cloud platform, Pivotal Cloud Foundry. Driving quality leveraging test-driven development with continuous integration & continuous delivery is key to our engineering approach.
As an engineer, this role will partner with our Allstate Roadside Services Product Manager and Product Designers to iterate the product vision into software that meets end user needs. This is a tremendous opportunity to deliver the next-generation product for our end users, Roadside Rescuers, who help our customers when their vehicle is disabled. The software product suite is a combination of Mobile Apps & web-based applications that allow tow truck drivers or mobile response units to be dispatched when a customer needs roadside services. This team will be working at our innovation hub in the Merchandise Mart which will provide the latest in modern equipment, healthy work spaces, and engineering tools to accomplish our goals. Don't miss this opportunity to join a team working 40-hours per week in our flagship work space that includes a game room, free breakfast, beverages & snacks. We value independent thinking and learning technology skills to build digital products that will fundamentally change safety on the roadways for drivers who need an immediate rescue. This role requires minimal production support. The primary role is new feature delivery to change the way we incentivize our end users to engage with Allstate Roadside Services customers.
* Participates in iteration planning meetings ensuring that the team has a common understanding of each story and chores in a team's backlog
* Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
* Participates in retrospectives to gather feedback and derive actionable items to improve the team and the product
* Participates in executing the strategy, keeping the customer needs and wants in mind
* Serves as an expert on a specific business domain and demonstrates leadership and accountability on at least one technology stack
* Provides input into the architecture and design of the product; collaborating with the team in solving problems the right way
* Practices daily paired programming and test-driven development in writing software and building product
* Establishes continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
* Provides support for software products in user environments
* Coaches more junior team members around different technologies and XP practices
* Participates in knowledge sharing, and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the team.
A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
* 3+ years of full-stack development experience with TDD and paired programming
* Strong understanding of computer science concepts, object oriented design principles
* Knowledge of developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages
* Experience developing & consuming web services (REST, SOAP, JSON), ETL jobs, and APIs (service-oriented architectures)
* Use object-oriented design (OOD) patterns for separation of operations, code reusability, security, and response time
* Continuous integration and deployment tool knowledge such as Jenkins, Concourse CI and/or Gradle
* Experience with monitoring tools like Dynatrace, AppDynamics, Iris, or Vision is a plus · Mobile App development with iOS or Android is a plus
Allstate is a company operating as a personal lines property and casualty insurer.