Full Stack Software Engineer
Wiley - Hoboken
Hiring Manager: Sr. Development Manager
We may have been founded over two centuries ago, but the reasons behind our success remain the same: change with the times and adapt to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers. As a learning business, our mission is to help people and organizations to develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. With new products and services driving our global expansion, we're looking towards a digital future. It's resulted in a period of cultural change here at Wiley, which means even more career and development opportunities for our talented people.
The role of Full Stack Software Engineer, is the custodian of standards-compliant software development and responsible for the architecture, designing and development of the Wiley plus ecosystem. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining clean, efficient code that can used universally across Wiley platforms.
The Full Stack Software Engineer is expected to participate in the evolution and implementation of new technologies, processes, open standards, bringing an implementer's perspective to the table. The role requires a wide range of experience with designing and developing high volume, high availability customer facing online platforms. Continued contribution to the open-source community is actively encouraged.
The Full Stack Software Engineer works closely with the Technology Lead, product owners, enterprise architecture and reports directly to the Director, technology product management.
* Architect, design, development and maintenance of key systems and features
* Manage full stack development lifecycle in a scrum/agile environment
* Experience with content management, learning management systems
* Build high availability, high volume, customer facing digital products and platforms
* Collaborates and pairs with product owners, UI/ UX, engineering to create secure, reliable, scalable software solutions
* Defines Service Level Objectives for product to constantly measure their reliability in production and help prioritize backlog work
* Must have 7+ years of hands-on development experience using Spring/ Java, Restful API, SQL/ NOSQL databases
* Proven history with software and system architecture, micro services architecture, AWS cloud technologies
* Strong background designing, architecting and developing high availability, high volume, customer-facing online platforms
* Working knowledge of caching technologies, front-end technologies, web architecture
* Understanding of technology methodologies including Agile (SCRUM), continuous integration/ continuous development and automation
* Desired experience: knowledge and skills with Canvas LMS, Black board, LTI tools
* College degree with major in Computer science or related discipline, Masters a plus.
* Ability to manage complex projects in cross-functional groups
* Strong communications, especially on technical subjects, good interpersonal skills
* Data-driven: able to absorb and use analytic information to make decisions
* Strong business analysis skills including ability to craft and prioritize user stories and expertise in managing priorities
* Creative, solution oriented with an eye to continuously improving results
* Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a global, multi-culturally team
* Strategic thinking, ability to drive cross-functional execution
* Adaptable to change
* A knack for identifying problems and brainstorming solutions
* Bonus, not required: knowledge of Russian language
Wiley is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or other legally protected status. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and employment review. Wiley is not offering sponsorship for this role at this time.
Wiley (also known as John Wiley & Sons) is a company developing digital education, learning, assessment, and certification solutions.