If you're excited about your work making an impact on millions of users and you love working on the newest technologies, delivering valuable and quality products with the sense of ownership, then you should join us!
The Dallas Morning News is possible because of some great cutting-edge technology. We have an opportunity for some great minds to help us make it even better. We love NodeJS and React and we have been known to dive into PHP and Python and even Perl. But the world is built out of HTML and all its friends. You should know them all very well. We encourage using the right tool for the job, not just the stuff mandated by corporate.
We store documents in JSON but play with XML too. NoSQL is not a bad word and neither is SQL. If there's not an API, we should build one. Our developers are given the freedom to create their environments and tear them down when not needed. A little creative destruction is sometimes the right catalyst. But we really like continuous improvement and delivery. And while we are in the cloud, there are toys on site, too.
We think in Agile, argue in Scrum and every once in a while we look at Gantt charts too.
Flexible work schedules are okay but we prefer having fun together.
The Full Stack Developer will design, develop, test, and support cutting-edge digital initiatives at A.H. Belo and The Dallas Morning News. There will be opportunities to work with several teams and you will be touching multiple initiatives, including:
* The CMS Development team will implement a world-class enterprise content management system across The Dallas Morning News and is the foundation upon which all digital content will be created.
* Digital marketing: Work with digital marketing team on subscription acquisition Integrations; user authentication and management; payment system integration; subscription acquisition development; behavior and personalization integrations; consumer data integrations; API integrations; CSR Tools
* DevOps team: Work cross-functionally and cross-departmentally to keep systems on track and production running smoothly. Expect sleeves up monitoring, test and deployment automation throughout the environment while assisting with the entire software life-cycle.
* Work in an agile environment where we ship features frequently to create user delight.
* Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
* Build next-generation applications for desktop and mobile browsers with an emphasis on user experiences and constant attention to scalability, performance, accessibility and cross-browser compatibility.
* Application design, development, testing, and support, as needed to augment and backfill application and other digital efforts.
* Support tracking projects to schedule, budget, and scope, reporting status, issues, and risks to project leadership team.
* Ensure project tools, techniques, and methods are effective and up-to-date.
* Review all application designs within the project portfolio to ensure overall consistency with each other and with the architecture of the portfolio.
* Review and approve the test plans and testing within the portfolio.
* Review and approve key project deliverables as noted by supervisors.
* Direct the production support for the portfolio. Must be on call to resolve complex and escalated production issues.
# of Hires Needed
* Technical school degree in an appropriate technical field or a four-year college degree, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
* At least two years of development experience.
* Experience in working with teams to deliver technology projects on time and within budget, and the ability to work on multiple projects at once.
* Extensive experience in supporting a variety of business application areas.
* Developing and deploying applications hosted in AWS or similar cloud environments.
* Working with and developing for media-related websites.
* HTML / CSS primary front-end development languages
* Angular / React is a plus
* PHP primary server development language
* JSP / Python secondary to primary server development language
* SQL (Mysql / Oracle) / noSQL (MongoDB / Elasticsearch )
* HTTP / REST / JSON / Websockets (Consuming and exposing APIs)
* Git source code management
* Continuous build full understanding
* Web CMS experience
* Working knowledge of optimization techniques (both in file weight and perceived/actual rendering speed).
* Experience using performance measurement tools to optimize front-end code.
* Experience with JIRA and Confluence
About AH Belo
A. H. Belo Corporation is a media company that owns newspapers in North Texas.