About eSpark Learning
At eSpark, we're building the next generation of tools to help students succeed in school and in life. Using student data and teacher insight, we curate the best learning resources to create a personalized learning experience for each student. Students who use eSpark are measurably more likely to be on track for college.
About Your Role
As a Frontend Software Engineer, you'll join our small, growing engineering team. You will shape both our culture and our systems, work with cutting-edge technologies, and solve fascinating problems in personalizing education for students.
Our product is used by students -- from pre-k learning their first letters to 8th graders evaluating the validity of text evidence -- as well as teachers and administrators. You'll contribute to creating fast, dynamic, age-differentiated applications that bring joy every day to a hundred thousand students in and across the US.
Typical Engineering Duties:
* Our team works in two week sprint cycles with daily stand-ups.
* You'll be included in many product decisions from early discovery to implementation. This includes user interviews, classroom visits, code spikes, etc.
You will most likely succeed if you bring:
* Excitement about functional programming, static typing, advanced browser testing, and other cutting-edge tools
* Commanding grasp of HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
* Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
* Familiarity with server-side MVC web frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails or Django
* Experience or desire to work collaboratively in multi-functional teams with design, product, data science, etc.
Pros and Cons
We're a startup and that comes with some growing pains. We'd like to inform you of what those might be up front so you know what to expect.
* We work with public schools and deploying technology in that space can be difficult: limited bandwidth, older software, outdated hardware, etc. Sometimes this is a fun challenge, sometimes it's just a challenge.
* We use new technology with all its benefits and limitations, and also have long-running products in all their legacy glory. Working with both requires some digging, patience, and tinkering.
The good news is that there's a lot to love about working here! You will:
* have a measurable, positive impact on the lives of children. If you want to work on a project that makes society better, this is it.
* work with a team of people that are friendly, considerate, and genuinely invested in contributing positively to the each other.
* have the opportunity to work and learn from team members with a wide range of backgrounds such as teachers, designers, and data scientists.
* work with your choice of computers and gadgets.
* work in a flexible environment with unlimited vacation. We're all adults (kinda), and we want you to take time when you need it.
* be covered by progressive insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including a significant portion covered by eSpark.
* get equity options and can participate in our 401(k), pre-tax commuter account, and FSA plans.
Other notable information
Most of us are available between 10am and 5pm, with start and end times flexible. We regularly work from home, based on our schedules and personal needs.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Are you on the fence about whether or not to apply? We'd love for you to apply anyway and are open to answering any questions that may help you feel like this is the best choice for you. You can also reach out the Engineering Manager, Renée Blunt. She'd be happy to hear from you.