Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we're growing by leaps and bounds!
Engineering at Venmo
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing.
The Engineering Team at Venmo is a tightly-knit group of contributors, service owners, architects, managers, and operations. We spend our days scaling our platform and building features that are data-driven and human-centered. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Frontend Software Architect
The Web team is responsible for our Venmo.com experiences and webviews used in our mobile applications. Our products are used by millions of users every day and must operate at a scale that meets our hockey-stick user growth and rapid portfolio expansion. We are seeking customer-obsessed frontend engineers who will work closely with our product and design partners to build, user-test, and iterate new features in our web platforms. We are a new small team that values ego-free code reviews, code quality, staying intellectually curious and always searching for better ways to get things done.
As a Frontend Software Architect, you will assist us in creating delightful user experiences for Venmo customers. You will be responsible for Venmo's web architecture and working very closely with the engineering managers, architects, and service owners to continue the journey of building the best payments web experiences in the world. You will be responsible for driving engineering design decisions and building innovative, human-centered, high-throughput web applications. You should be equally comfortable starting from scratch as well as diving into an existing project to make it better. You will also be expected to be a role model on coding standards, tools, platforms and other best practices for the web team.
Things you'll do:
* Lead the design and development of frontend features and components for Venmo.com and webviews used in mobile experiences
* Develop and maintain a web technology strategy that is aligned with business objectives
* Iterate with our UX and Product teams in an agile environment to bring features from conception to launch
* Collaborate with Platform, Infrastructure and InfoSec teams to ensure web apps operate at scale and meet security requirements
* Write clean, high-quality code and tests while keeping the user experience fast and reliable
* Reduce the level of technical debt of the web codebase
* Build the optimal design and model for the UI, including responsive design and accessibility concerns
* Help triage bugs, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
* Lead and participate in development life cycle activities like design, coding, testing and production release
* Define and steward technical standards and code quality
* Conduct peer code reviews for pull requests
* Provide mentorship to fellow Web engineers
What we are looking for:
* 3+ years experience building single page applications with popular JS frameworks and libraries (React, Angular, Ember, Babel, Webpack, Underscore, etc.).
* Experience mentoring and developing software engineers
* Experience with test automation: TDD, unit/integration/functional testing.
* Experience with HTML5, CSS3, Sass, Bootstrap, and cross-browser and device development.
* Experience with a scripting language, such as Python, Ruby, etc.
* Have a passion for quality and writing clean, solid, readable code that scales and performs well. Strong desire to learn, push the envelope, and share knowledge with others.
* Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.