Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. We've raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
The Learning Technologies & Author Team owns three key initiatives at Codecademy:
1) supporting new technologies in the platform to enable the launch of new courses on the site
2) investing in our core learning environment to improve engagement metrics and support learning initiatives on other teams
3) iterating on our internal CMS to scale learning content creation
As an engineer on the Learning Technologies & Author team you develop a deep understanding of the various services that work together to make the interactive Learning Environment tick. You are eager to jump into codebases that are unfamiliar to you. You value quality code and testing, yet can quickly turn around on a prototype.
What You'll Do
* Improve the interactive Learning Environment by creating new experiences, and increasing its reliability and performance (React/Redux, Ruby on Rails)
* Enable the production of learning content by building new content creation experiences (React/Redux, Ruby on Rails)
* Engage in continual learning with your teammates through pair programming, code review, and giving technical presentations
What You'll Need
* At least 3 years of professional experience developing web applications using a modern front-end web framework, such as React or Angular
* Expertise in HTML & CSS, with a knack for building responsive layouts and accessible interfaces
* Experience working with modern JS build tools, like Babel and Webpack
* A passion for best practices in testing; can write unit tests in your favorite language with your eyes closed
What Will Make You Stand Out
* Expertise building large applications within the React/Redux ecosystem
* Experience working "full-stack" to enable end-to-end feature delivery
* Familiarity with containerization technologies and tools (Docker, ECS, ECR)
* Proven empathy for our learners, such as a background in education or past experience using our site
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.
Codecademy is an education company offering online training classes on coding.