Department: NUL Repository & Digital Cur
This role develops, codes, tests, and debugs new software or enhancements to existing software. The Developer typically works with senior staff, but may coordinate smaller or less complex projects independently. The Developer designs and implements basic technical solutions ensuring that business needs and requirements are met. The Developer performs basic system integration tasks. This role provides estimation for assigned tasks.
Ready to build community-driven, opensource software that offers access to a rich collection of cultural heritage artifacts including the Northwestern University 1968 Bursar's Office Takeover and photos from the Works Progress Administration, WPA? The Repository Development team at Northwestern University Libraries is looking for a frontend developer who can jump into a fast-paced environment, thrives on solving complex problems, and loves to build beautiful applications. Working in a small, agile team, the frontend developer will play a critical role in changing the way our rich catalog of unique objects is displayed and used by our end users. Using the latest tooling (React.js, Vue.js), you will turn hard data and user feedback to beautiful, modern, and usable interfaces. This position will work with the Senior Developer (Front End Developer) to spearhead our usability initiatives, translating requirements and concepts into mockups, developing frontend style guides to enable rapid development, conducting ad-hoc usability studies, and writing standards-compliant code. In addition, the frontend developer will work to ensure all of our products reinforce the brand of Northwestern University.
* As a member of the Library Repository and Digital Curation team, this person may be called at any time to address emergency situations on library systems.
* During certain times of the year, work hours may be extended or shifted to meet the needs for staff and/or other stakeholders during critical operational support activities.
* Develops short and long-term usability goals
* Partners with users in designing features
* Works with management team to prioritize accessibility features
* Ensures repositories reinforce University's brand
* Researches and recommends frontend frameworks
* Develops user-interface standards documents
* Conducts regular usability tests
* Educates staff on design and usability best-practices
* Creates and maintains code documentation.
* Develops mockups, requirements and other artifacts
* Tests and debugs front-end issues
* Refactors frontend code for existing applications as necessary
* Software infrastructure, via patches, bundles, releases and maintenance packs.
* Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user
* Prioritizes tasks within project
* Meets with stakeholders to determine requirements
* Adheres to iterative development based on user experience best practices
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: (Education, experience, and any other certifications or clearances)
* Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, design, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
* 2 years relevant experience required.
* Please see information highlighted below.
* Analytical: Critical thinking, decision thinking, use-case analysis.
* Project: agile environment, Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, organizational skills, Scrum project framework.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
* Communication: Balancing listening and talking; communicates effectively one-to-one and in groups; writes precise, well-organized emails and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar; gives clear and manageable instructions. Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization from end-user to senior management about both business and IT needs.
* Organization: Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient, productive manner.
* Multi-Tasking: Demonstrates ability to work on multiple projects at one time.
* Efficiency: Planning ahead; handling time well; anticipates contingencies and pays attention to detail; targets projects or initiatives that require special attention and focuses on key tasks when faced with limited time or resources; thinking of a better way of doing things.
* Collegiality: being helpful, supportive, empathetic, and team orientated; building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
* Problem Solving/Analysis: Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
* Ability to Learn: Strong desire to develop and grow in knowledge and experience; learn new programs and technologies.
* Strong knowledge of hardware and software applications as well as operating systems and networking standards.
* Demonstrated experience in managing end user computing infrastructure, Windows server platforms, related software, and basic system administration utilities.
* Ability to translate requirements to meaningful wireframes, mockups, and sketches.
* Knowledge and/or experience of design principles and best practices.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
* Masters or certificate in Design, Computer Human Interaction.
* 2 years using modern frontend development tools (e.g. css preprocessors, web standards, html5, and front-end frameworks.)
* Previous experience working in a complex team environments (stakeholders, backend, frontend members).
* Experience working with and/or knowledge of academic libraries.
* Experience conducting usability tests.
* Experienced contributor to open source projects.
* Experience with Scrum or other agile methodology.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.