As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished advanced development team, you will be the flight software architect of the Blue Moon lunar lander responsible for architecture, development, execution, and management of the Blue Moon flight software. You will also be responsible for standing up a team of embedded software engineers supporting flight software development for various subsystems. The Flight Software Lead understands the broad scope of flight software development for a space system while cognizant of the fine details that make the system robust and reliable. The position requires strong collaboration with other subsystems necessary for command and control of the spacecraft such as guidance, navigation, and control, engines, avionics, and communications. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and reliable spaceflight.
* Collaborate with subsystem leads to define and develop top level software requirements, architecture and designs
* Facilitate trade space decisions and bring teams to consensus for flight software architectures, layers, components, and applications
* Oversee development of rapid prototypes to prove out architecture/design concepts and quantify technical risks
* Oversee development of fault tolerant flight software for the command and data handling subsystem responsible for the overall command and control of the lander as well as software modules for other subsystems
* Drive requirements for development and test of board support packages for embedded platforms
* Oversee development of simulation of target environment to accelerate development and integration testing
* Oversee efforts to integrate software components, create and run unit tests, validate on Hardware-in-the-Loop and release real-time embedded solutions
* Coordinate with hardware, control and system engineers to plan, develop, and lead system verification and qualification, to ensure software products that meet system requirements and safety-critical standards
* Lead and contribute to production of technical documentation for software architecture, design, verification plans
* Leading and mentoring other hardware and software development engineers on the team
* Plan and manage schedule, resource, and personnel assignments
* B.S. in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or related engineering with 10+ years of design experience including 3+ years of experience of flight software project management
* Strong software development skills in real-time embedded systems, particularly in C/C++, and experience interfacing with controls software written in C/C++/Simulink
* Experience in full lifecycle software development of real-time embedded system, including system design and analysis, requirement capture and development, software implementation and verification, system integration, qualification, and releasing.
* Experience designing, deploying and supporting one or complete flight control systems or systems of similar complexity
* Experience in build automation, continuous integration, configuration management, verification, deployment of software
* Experience managing project requirements, priorities, scope, schedule, resources, cost and reporting
* Highly organized team player with excellent technical written and verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrated track record of resourcefulness from their previous assignments.
* Applicants must qualify as a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, permanent resident, refugee or asylee.
* Experience in definition of integrated avionics and software environments, including Hardware-in-the loop facilities
* Experience with software development in mission and safety-critical environments, such as DO-178 compliance
* Experience with Embedded Linux, GNU toolchain, Python, MATLAB/Simulink, real-time operating systems, serial communication
* Experience with fault-tolerant design and fault-tolerant communications (possibly required)
* Experience interfacing with FPGAs in an embedded system
* Understanding of the trade space for electrical and digital components for Space Applications
* Experience with Guidance, Navigation and Control software integration in an embedded system, and familiarity with flight sensors and actuators
* Leadership experience in an aerospace R&D environment.
* Experience in a small company and/or startup environment.
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
About Blue Origin
Blue Origin is an aerospace manufacturer and spaceflight services company.