Company:Fenix International Inc.
Location:San Francisco, CA
Compensation:Competitive salary & benefits
Fenix International is a next-generation energy company. Our mission is to transform our customers' quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Solar, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments starting under $0.19 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a unique credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans and open up a wider world of energy and financing for our customers.
To date, Fenix has sold over 300,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda and Zambia, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over one million people. In 2017, Fenix announced that it was joining forces with ENGIE, one of the world's largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. ENGIE will make significant commercial investments in Fenix to accelerate the path to our mission. Fenix will operate as a distinct and autonomous company within the ENGIE group in order to retain our unrelenting focus on innovation, smart iterative design, strong team culture and exceptional customer experience. Together, Fenix and ENGIE plan to bring life-changing energy and financial services to tens of millions of off-grid customers and to make universal access to modern energy a reality across Africa.
Fenix International is looking for a talented, self-starting firmware developer to join the Fenix team to help deliver affordable solar power to emerging markets in Africa. The ideal applicant will have experience being a mid-level software engineer and will help shape the technological vision of the company and play a important role in the product development team. Candidates must enjoy working in a startup environment, and ideally have a passion for renewable energy and sustainable development in Frontier Markets. This position offers a unique opportunity for interesting global travel including Sub-Saharan Africa for field visits and other parts of the world as well. (Travel ~10% time)
Key & Responsibilities
* Designing and implementing embedded firmware solutions for managing analog interfaces, power control, and inter/intra-system communications
* Working directly with other engineers in new product architecture definition, key component selection, feature development and DFM
* Selection and procurement of required firmware development tools for each product platform
* Owning all existing and new Fenix product firmware, including management of all firmware repositories
* Development of communication protocols jointly with software team to integrate hardware with existing software systems
* Documenting new and existing firmware features in firmware specification documents
* Defining firmware design validation test plans, supporting test execution and issue resolution
* Designing software to support formalized product compliance testing
Required Skills & Experience
* Strong proficiency in writing C/C++ for embedded systems
* Familiarity and competence in working with Git based software repositories
* Ability to independently understand electrical schematics and hardware system diagrams
* Ability to solve dynamic problems with limited data in a systematic fashion
* Strong understanding of computer security principals and cryptographic practices
* Understanding of LCD display driving and designing for localizable user interfaces
* Familiarity with ARM and PIC based microcontrollers
* Bachelors degree in Computer, Electrical or Software Engineering
* 3 years related experience
* Experience developing firmware for GSM communications and IoT devices
* Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
* Experience developing with Bluetooth and BTLE embedded communication stacks
* Experience developing with embedded USB communication stacks
* 5+ years track record of taking products into mass production
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are not able to sponsor H1B visas at this time. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.
About Fenix International
Fenix International produces affordable energy solutions for the 1.5 billion people living without electricity.