University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
The Financial Planning & Analysis Office (FP&A) reports to the UC Berkeley Office of the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Chief Financial Officer (VC-OCFO) and supports the University's mission by promoting an environment of financial integrity, enabling optimal use of UC Berkeley's $3 billion operating budget, and facilitating informed decision-making.
* Leads efforts to enhance budgeting, forecasting, and multi-year financial planning across campus.
* Provides financial planning and decision-support analysis for campus leadership on a range of strategic and financial issues.
* Oversees the campus annual budget process and establishes the consolidated budget plan.
* Administers, forecasts and budgets over $1.4B in central resources.
* Works with campus constituents to improve the quality of financial management information and analytical capacity across UC Berkeley.
* Applies advanced business systems concepts to define highly complex systems scope and objectives based on both user needs and a good understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements.
* Initiates, designs or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results.
* Performs highly complex analysis of business and user needs, documentation of requirements, and translation into proper system requirement specifications for system enhancements and upgrades.
* Creates highly technical specifications for systems with broad impact on campus.
* Initiates and designs automated system specifications where there are no standardized policies or procedures.
* Performs advanced configuration and coding.
* Tests/debugs complex systems.
* Plans and executes unit integration and acceptance testing.
* Applies advanced IT concepts to build and maintain complex data integrations between the campus data center, external data centers and the cloud.
* May lead cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
* May lead of team of business systems professionals.
* Guides and advises less-experienced Finance Systems Analysts.
* Works at the highest technical level of most phases of systems analysis while considering the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
* Trains users in the conversion, upgrade and implementation of business intelligence, budgeting and planning systems, including maintenance of the website and wiki.
* Supports campus financial system users as Tier 2 help desk support for Enterprise Budget and Planning and Business Intelligence systems. Initiates, facilitates, implements and documents work process changes.
* Writes Request for Proposals (RFPs) or portions of the RFP document.
* Advanced experience over a minimum of five years providing administration and/or technical support for Hyperion Planning, Essbase or other similar platforms.
* Possesses both functional and technical experience with Financial Planning & Analysis systems and business functions and a deep understanding of how systems can be optimized to support the business of FP&A.
* Advanced experience with Financial Planning and Analysis to understand the business requirements.
* Must be self-motivated, work independently or as part of a team, able to learn quickly, take initiative, meet deadlines and demonstrate advanced problem-solving skills.
* Expertise in communicating, both oral and written technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
* Advanced experience and skills using: Excel, GoogleSheets, Microsoft Word, GoogleDocs, and Microsoft Access.
* Advanced experience with PeopleSoft Finance and/or Human Capital Management enterprise resource planning systems, including a minimum of 5 years of experience at an organization that uses the same or similar enterprise resource planning systems.
* Advanced experience with relational and star schema data models and query tools.
* Advanced experience over a minimum of five years in data preparation, data loading and data analysis.
* Possesses an advanced understanding of business systems and database technologies.
* Possesses knowledge of application development and the IT enterprise environment.
* Has knowledge of applications programming technologies, tools and protocols.
* Communicates effectively with team members and other stakeholders across the institution.
* Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
* Minimum of three years of Financial Planning and Analysis experience, to understand the business requirements.
* Masters degree in business administration or information technology preferred.
* Minimum of five years of experience supporting business intelligence and/or budgeting and planning systems in a highly matrixed organization with a multi-segment chartstring (UC System and/or Hyperion Planning highly preferred).
* Minimum of five years of experience analyzing data based on fund accounting; University of California chart of accounts preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University of California
University of California is a public research university system.