Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At Viasat, we're on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We're the company behind the world's fastest satellite internet service, with technology that's helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
We're growing rapidly and looking for passionate, innovative professionals to join our team and connect the world to more. You'll work in a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and continuous learning, and provides industry-leading benefits with unmatched opportunities for career growth. Our team is fearless in pursuit of new ideas and uncompromising in our quest to become the world's first truly global Internet Service Provider. Interested in joining our mission? Take a look at career opportunities at Viasat today.
The Field Support & Integration Engineer is a key member of ViaSat's Commercial Airline Support team, which helps deliver and maintain ViaSat's best-in-class "ViaSat In-Flight Connectivity" services to our Commercial Airline customers.
The Field Support & Integration Engineer plays a critical part in the service launch of new customers, supporting system activations, aircraft maintenance and over-the-air system checks for new and in-service installations of the ViaSat onboard In-Flight Connectivity (IFC) solution. The Field Support & Integration Engineer ensures that all work is carried out in accordance with ViaSat procedures and airline manuals, following FAA regulations.
Additional key responsibilities include providing training, on-site, and remote support to airline maintenance representatives during installation, activation and maintenance of ViaSat IFC equipment, including software loads and updates. This role works in collaboration with ViaSat's airline partners to support and close the daily maintenance issues. Verbal and written interaction with airlines and OEM's are frequent and must be delivered professionally.
The Field Support & Integration Engineer interfaces with internal and external stakeholders, and must be able to communicate effectively with diverse audiences including engineering teams, program management, customers, and third party partners & suppliers.
This position requires contributing to shared knowledge, documentation, training of peers and other stakeholders, and may require travel to other ViaSat offices, customer locations, and airline maintenance locations up to 75%.
The ideal candidate will have an A&P license and a background in commercial aircraft systems, specifically electrical and avionics equipment maintenance, troubleshooting and testing. The critical nature of the work requires good judgment, initiative and specialized technical expertise to understand problems and develop recommended solutions. This role must be comfortable working both as part of a global team, and independently as a remote resource. Prior experience working in a remote/virtual team is a plus.
Experience with hardware and software elements involved in IP networking and satellite communications is preferred. Familiarity with UNIX/LINUX configuration, and ability to capture and interpret network traces is a plus.
Assist Viasat's customers with the planning and execution of maintenance, troubleshooting and repair efforts.Ensure complete and accurate documentation and records of all maintenance work performed on customer aircraft.
* Travel to customer maintenance locations on short notice to support troubleshooting and repair operations.
* Provide training to maintenance vendors and airline personnel on installation and maintenance of the Viasat IFC solution.
* Ensure all required and preventative maintenance is performed in accordance with company, airline and FAA/EASA regulations.
* Establish and maintain working relationships with OEM's, airline partners, and third-party maintenance personnel.
* Provide remote assistance to support diagnostic checks on Viasat IFC equipment installed on customer aircraft.
* Provide a timely remote response and resolution to any service inquiry related to installation and maintenance.
* Ensure all install aids and equipment required to maintain the Viasat IFC service is available and up to date.
* Assist Field Support Manager in the development of improved maintenance and preventative maintenance of the Viasat IFC solution.
* Associate's Degree or equivalent experience in Aircraft Maintenance, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant discipline preferred
* Ability to interpret technical manuals and schematics including engineering items supporting the installation and repair of the ViaSat IFE system.
* Prior experience in a Technical Support or NOC role preferred
* Prior experience working in a field support capacity
* Experience in IP networking preferred
* Prior experience working with Linux/Unix
* FAA certification for aircraft maintenance (Airframe Certification)
* Ability to work a flexible schedule in a 24x7 environment as needed to support round-the-clock operations
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present complex technical material to a variety of audience.
* Ability to access any of the NYC area airports at short notice.
* Ability to travel 25%-50%, including internationally.
* A background in Avionics and Aircraft maintenance
* Prior experience with RF Satellite or Wireless Communication systems
* Experience working on in-flight entertainment or connectivity systems
* Experience working as part of a virtual team with remote supervision
To learn more about this site and other office locations, please click here!
AA/AS or equivalent experience
Years of experience:
Up to 50%
About Viasat Inc.
Viasat is a company that offers communications products and services.