Under direction, to perform work building and maintaining the core hardware infrastructure components, including Windows and Citrix servers. Provides support and maintenance for the Epic Windows based servers. Ensures systems operate without interruption and are protected against unauthorized access and disasters.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (*Essential Functions)
1. Builds and maintains servers, network, and related systems components, ensures equipment functions reliably and effectively, and maintains systems to protect from unauthorized access or other misuses.
2. Provides support for the maintenance of the Epic Windows based servers and effective advanced helpdesk support for more difficult problems to ensure their resolution.
3. Effectively works with Application Owners and Users to ensure the overall 'end-product' is consistently of high quality and provides support, guidance and assistance to other departmental employees as required.
4. Adheres to established Department standards equipment, software, builds, and configurations; contributes to updating and testing. Maintains and validates back-ups and disaster recovery systems.
5. Performs work with due-diligence and in accordance with change management, testing and similar work practices Meets established target dates for required work.
6. Maintains up-to-date and thorough documentation on systems, provides current and complete troubleshooting tools to ensure coverage by other engineers, and ensures needed documentation and education is provided to enable Workstation Support Engineers and Helpdesk support on the client level.
7. Keeps accurate current and complete records and documentation, including inventory and other databases. Maintains documentation on work and project activities and provides proper updates. Will comply and adhere to all implemented change management and framework policies and procedures as well as update the known error folder each time a problem occurs with a server they are responsible for. Ensures skills are kept current and up-to-date on industry practices, techniques and trends.
8. Responsible for weekly reporting of daily activities and participates in meetings and discussions with vendors, contractors, etc. as required.
9. Performs all other duties as requested and assigned.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (Minimum Requirements)
* High School Graduation or GED equivalent is required.
* A Bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university with course emphasis in Computer Science, Electronics or a closely related field is preferred.
* Two (2) years of professional work experience in computer and network support, troubleshooting and design is required.
* Five (5) years progressive experience in Microcomputer Support, including hands-on experience in Network systems design and troubleshooting is preferred.
* Current Epic certification is required within 6 months of hire, with proven competency in area of certification. Attainment of, and continued maintenance of, at least one additional area of current certification within 1 year of promotion of hire, from the following group: Epic, EMC, Citrix, or Microsoft. Current certification is defined as within one generation of the vendor's current release.
* Working knowledge in one or more of the following areas, not to include the area of certification: Microsoft, networking/Cisco, specialized vendor/proprietary system as identified.
* Advanced certification in Microsoft or Citrix applications is preferred.
* DBA experience in Oracle, SQL, or Cache is preferred.
* SAN/NAS experience, preferably EMC is preferred.
* Scripting and HA/Clustering experience is preferred.
* Can be hazardous. Must be performed within safety guidelines designated by the Hospital, manufacturer's procedures and regulatory bodies, such as OSHA.
* Sometimes required to climb ladders, crawl in close quarters (such as ceilings), and occasionally be exposed to outside weather conditions or areas where there is extreme heat, cold, moisture or dryness.
* As required, expected to work days, evenings and/or nights, weekends and holidays, and participate in call/stand-by rotations in order to adequately meet customer service and/or project needs.
STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR
Meets the Standards of Behavior as outlined in Personnel Policy and Procedure #1, Employee Relations Code.
AGE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide services appropriate to neonate, pediatric, adolescent, young adults, middle adults and geriatric patients. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span.
NATIONAL PATIENT SAFETY GOALS
Demonstrates knowledge of operational policies and procedures related to patient and facility safety. Performs work safely and in accordance with National Patient Safety Goals, without causing harm or risk to self, others or property. Recognizes safety hazards and takes corrective action when necessary.
Demonstrates knowledge of procedures for protecting and maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family, organizational and other medical information. Understands and supports the commitment of Methodist Hospitals in adhering to federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations governing ethical business practices for healthcare providers.
DISCLAIMER - The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.