What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you're a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
* America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
* Career & Development Opportunities
* Entry, Mid, Senior level
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) program is developing the next-generation weather satellite system and operating the current weather satellite constellation to provide decision quality weather data to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the nation's weather data users. Raytheon is developing, deploying, and sustaining the JPSS Command, Control, and Communications Segment (C3S), the Interface Data Processing Segment (IDPS), and the Field Terminal Segment (FTS). For more information on JPSS, see: https://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/jpss
The Mission Support Team (MST) of Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) is seeking a Ground Systems Engineer to provide support to the JPSS Common Ground System (CGS) operated by Raytheon at the NOAA Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) in Suitland, Maryland. This position is located at the NSOF.
The EMOC-SE is responsible for understanding the entire system and maintaining situational awareness of systems health. The system includes Space/Ground links, Spacecraft, Ground Station support equipment, Data Transport systems, all ground software/hardware architecture and network interfaces (especially with the White Sands Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS)), and understanding impacts of anomalies to the entire system.
The EMOC-SE position is staffed 24/7 and ability to work shift work is required. Some work hour variation is required at satellite launch periods:
* Pre-Launch work hours are between 8am to 5pm.
* At Launch minus 90 days, the work hours will be scheduled to support 24/7 Satellite Operations including various mission activities leading up to Launch and will require flexible work schedules. This will include some off-hours, weekends and possibly holidays depending on mission needs.
* Various mission activities require a flexible work schedule, sometimes during off-hours, weekends, and holidays depending on mission needs. This position requires some scheduled standby periods for reaction to system anomalies.
Some travel may be required in the Continental United States (CONUS) or out-of-CONUS (OCONUS).
You will be trained and certified via Raytheon training modules and On-The-Job (OJT) training prior to unsupervised operations.
* Leading the shift crew.
* Coordinate with Mission Planner for specialized activities.
* Working with Calibration/Validation team and other specialized teams during shift operations.
* Coordinate deviations from planned operations as well as anomaly responses or diagnostic mode .
* Write, track and report Work Requests (WRs are system trouble tickets.)
* Authorize manual, guarded, and emergency commands after coordination with the Senior System Engineer. These commands can impact the system so require coordination.
* Maintain and validate shift logs. Write shift reports, as-required.
* Maintain situational awareness of system health and coordinate support as required.
* Maintain Ground Ops Products as-required.
* Other duties as assigned.
On shift, the MMC EMOC is the senior position and gives direction to the SATCON and the IDPS Operators. The EMOC is the back-up for the Mission Planner.
The EMOC is one of two (with SATCON) primary crew operators at the MMC. The EMOC also reacts to all ground equipment problems/anomalies to restore mission capability.
The EMOC and SATCON back each other up on-console as necessary and they will be cross-trained and certified to perform in this capacity by the time the mission reaches steady-state operations.
Ability to obtain CAC via a National Agency Check.
Engineering background with troubleshooting familiarity.
Demonstrable experience with:
* Network (LAN/WAN) architecture
* Protocols and equipment
* Microsoft® Windows® domains (Windows7/Server 2008R2)
* Linux (CentOS & SUSE)
Eager to learn!
Satellite Operations Center experience supporting operations. Satellite operations and or science data processing experience.
Experience and knowledge of complex, distributed ground systems to include satellite ground station equipment and procedures.
* Integration and test of satellite operations and/or ground systems.
* Satellite operations.
* Software and system test and validation processes
* Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) development and validation or technical writing.
* Raytheon software systems (ECLIPSE ™, EQUINOX ™, ESC ™).
BS Degree in Computer Science, Space Operations, Computer Technology, Math, Physics, EE, or other STEM degree with two years relevant experience,
Ten years relevant experience.
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization. 140085BR 140085
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation and training solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated $6.2 billion in 2018 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
None / Not Required
Type Of Job
MD - Suitland
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.