Whistle was born out of our love for pets. As the world's first technology company dedicated to helping pets live longer and happier lives, we build solutions for common problems faced by pet parents everywhere. Whether a pet is an escape artist, an avid adventurer or a happy couch potato, Whistle provides information and insights to help ensure both pets and their people stay healthy and happy for years to come.
Our current market-leading products include a cellular-enabled GPS tracker and a WiFi & Bluetooth-enabled activity monitor. We do all design and development in-house, from PCB design to embedded software, data analytics to mobile apps. Our pack thrives on solving hard problems in nimble teams.
Backed by the largest petcare company in the world, Whistle is positioned for growth as we continue to evolve our product offerings and add to our very dynamic team. If you believe you have what it takes to work in a highly independent, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility is a must, then Whistle might be the place for you.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead an engineering team both technically and managerially. This is a technical role, suited to someone who is a hands-on technical leader with experience managing people. You will lead a self-sufficient team of engineers to accelerate our product development velocity- improving the teams estimations and delivery while improving the reliability and stability of our system.
* Lead a team of engineers in the architecture and implementation of solutions using technologies like Ruby on Rails, Node.js, React, and Elixir
* Deploy and monitor solutions in a high-scale environment
* Manage, mentor, and coach individual team members in their careers, taking part in code reviews and planning of tasks
* Spec out technical requirements, estimate delivery, and contribute to projects technically
* Improve the reliability and scalability of our stack, hardening our platform to accommodate growth trends
* Write code, review pull requests, and debug issues
Here's what we're looking for in a strong candidate:
* 7+ years of professional development experience
* 2+ years of management or equivalent experience
* Experience in building highly scalable systems, with an emphasis on RESTful APIs
* Experience with agile operating models
* Experience leading an engineering team
* Experience developing infrastructure using AWS or another cloud service
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to establish trusted partnerships with product heads and executive level stakeholders
Extra treats for:
* Previous work experience at a product company or development agency
* Experience caring for a dog or other pet
We don't just reward in kibble. Here's what we're offering:
* Competitive salary, health/dental/vision benefits, and 401K options
* Dog-friendly office and lots of opportunity to use our product of course :)
* Commuter benefits
* Unlimited vacation so you can relax and recharge when you need it
* Fully stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks, and lunch catered daily.
* Monthly and quarterly company and team events
* Want to speak or attend an industry-related conference? Go for it! We'll cover the costs.
Whistle is an equal opportunity employer
Whistle develops tracking devices for pet owners and veterinarians worldwide.