Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
On any given day, millions of people interact with Mapbox's global API infrastructure, while behind the scenes, hundreds of Mapbox developers continually deploy code, process petabytes of data, and improve the durability and efficiency of our product. Powering this engine is our Platform team: a group of developers who build and operate a first-class suite of dev-ops tools, run our self-serve deployment pipeline, provision a shared computing layer for the company, and advise Mapbox developers on optimizing cost, scale, and fault-tolerance on AWS. We collaborate closely with our internal customers-any Mapbox engineering team with workloads hosted in the cloud-and regularly interface with stakeholders across the business.
The team's scope of work includes tooling and systems for continuous integration and deployment, benchmarking, observability, incident response, database replication, cost monitoring, and more. As Mapbox grows, the Platform team serves as the backbone of scaling our self-service and high-quality development on AWS. The team is a key player in helping Mapbox developers deliver an operationally excellent, high-availability product to our customers.
* Check out some of our recent re:Invent talks about switching our infrastructure to ECS and how we monitor cost on AWS
* Many components of our platform are open-source, such as our framework for distributed data processing on ECS, our continuous integration service to build Lambda bundles, the core of our deploy pipeline, and some friendly CloudFormation helpers!
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a highly technical manager to lead and mentor some of the best developers in the business. You will be responsible for Mapbox's cloud infrastructure and dev-ops toolkit, including but not limited to: product vision, roadmap definition, feature development, and operational excellence.
In this role, you will continue to grow your technical leadership while you:
* Provide strategic direction and innovation in the design and implementation of the Platform team's product suite
* Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team's capabilities
* Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team along in the decision-making
* Empathize with internal customers of the platform and ship features to address their needs
* Determine best engineering practices and promote them within the team and across Mapbox
* Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, diversity, and data-driven decisions on the team
* Help your team members and direct reports learn new skills, either through your own guidance or by proactively finding them mentors
* Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team's work
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable infrastructure on AWS
* Expertise in designing and managing highly-available, distributed systems at scale and through rapid growth
* Track record of building self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset
* Ability to lead and inspire in a hands-on fashion
* Previous experience building and leading a high-performing team that delivered high-impact and high-value work
* Ability to take on an ownership role for the product, and be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently
* Experience mentoring individuals from underrepresented backgrounds into leadership
* Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias
* Commitment to recruiting a diverse engineering team
* Experience managing distributed teams that span timezones
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.