Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What You'll Do
* Research, design, develop, and test operating systems-level software for Mobile Telemetry Software Development Kit (SDK) team.
* Set operational specifications and formulate and analyze software requirements.
* Build open source library that powers the collection of anonymous location data to continuously update and improve maps software.
* Develop and maintain Mobile Telemetry SDK for iOS and Android.
* Develop team's technical roadmap and monitor deadlines and heavy engineering lifts.
* Liaise with product managers to define and execute against product needs and technical roadmap, triage key technical priorities and establish cadence for product lifts while balancing engineering bandwidth and resources.
* Initiate and facilitate technical postmortems on projects after completion for ongoing improvement.
* Enforce key engineering standards to avoid accruing technical debt, ensure consistency in software development process, and track deliverable deadlines for the team.
* Utilize mobile location services across multiple platforms and API levels in order to build and maintain the Mobile Telemetry SDK.
* Discover, debug, and fix data quality and power management issues.
* Design, implement, and optimize pipelines for the collection of raw GPS location data for efficient ingestion and development of location based services.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* Must have a Bachelor's degree, or foreign equivalent, in Geomatics and Spatial Analysis, Geospatial Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field, plus five (5) years of post-baccalaureate progressive experience developing location services software and applications within the telecommunications industry. Of the required experience, must have five (5) years of experience in each of the following (which may be gained concurrently):
* Designing systems to consume GPS location data from mobile devices efficiently and at scale; * Analyzing SDK performance metrics to identify and address customer facing issues with battery consumption and memory pressure on mobile operating systems; * Implementing consistent software development release cycles for customer facing SDKs; and * Mentoring engineers in Test Driven Development and Agile concepts.
What We Value
* We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities. * We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people. * We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company. * We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.