Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. We've raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy's Learner Experience Team is responsible for our user facing applications. Through our Learning Environment, we present the interactive coding environment and instructions for lessons, projects, and quizzes to most effectively teach our learners. We believe that education is the best way to improve a person's life. Our team discovers the goals of learners and guides them to the right course material that will bring those objectives to fruition. We also organize how learners receive our supplemental content, like videos, articles, and code reviews - enabling them to have a truly fulfilling educational experience.
In this role, you will motivate and inspire your team to work on interesting projects related to scalability, reliability, and security as we deliver products and features that empower our learners around the world. You will need to execute on project goals by being a technical resource to your engineers as well as actively contributing to our learner experience. Clear communication as an Engineering Manager is key as you will not only be leading your specific team but collaborating across engineering teams within the company.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
* Hire and build an engineering team that is driven by the mission and vision that you champion for the team
* Work with individual engineers to define career goals and align their ambitions with relevant projects and tasks
* Guide your team on architecting and authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
* Improve the scalability and efficiency of our infrastructure
* Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
* Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements and automation
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
* 2+ years of management experience
* Previous experience hiring technical talent
* 3+ years of experience working in a frontend or fullstack facing role
* You know your browser APIs and optimizing for frontend performance is a challenge you'll gladly accept
* Experience with NoSQL (MongoDB) and SQL (Postgres) databases
* Previous performance management and career goal setting experience
* Previous experience working with cross functional teams
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
* Experience with Docker
* Experience with Go
* Teaching and/or structured tutoring experience
* Experience utilizing Codecademy's Platform
* BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering
* You've played an integral part in implementing Kubernetes in a past role
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.
Codecademy is an education company offering online training classes on coding.