Engineering Manager, Hardware Systems Engineering
San Francisco, CA
Who are we:
The Hardware Engineering team's mission is to provide efficient, high performance and reliable servers for Twitter's data centers. We work with engineering teams to define future generations of infrastructure. We design, deploy, test, and maintain Twitter's server fleet, and we're looking for the right person to help us strengthen the team.
Twitter's Hardware Systems Engineers are the experts that combine hardware, firmware, and Linux knowledge to design and deploy our hardware solutions at scale. We collaborate with internal and external teams on new technology. We create processes, testing, and automation to ensure reliable & efficient server fleet.
What You'll Do:
We believe passion and personality matter; as such, we need leaders that can manage diverse, skilled, and driven engineers while balancing day to day people management with moving the business forward.
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of engineers who are working to keep Twitter reliable and scalable. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Coordinate the System Engineering team's efforts to develop and support Twitter's hardware products.
* Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for the Hardware Engineering Team.
* Drive cross-team and cross-org alignment around Twitter's hardware platform, including the development and deployment of new systems and technologies.
* Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team as well as across vendor and partner teams, managing requirements while driving the platform forward.
* Lead efforts to automate server testing and component qualification.
* Partner with the Hardware Reliability Team and other engineering managers across Twitter to enhance our ability to monitor server health, debug critical issues, and improve overall reliability.
Who You are:
You're excited to lead a dynamic engineering team, and have been looking for the next challenge in your career.
* You want to mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders
* You will bring a strong perspective and collaborative partnership that inspires change, and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex operational or reliability challenges.
* You have experience formulating a team's technical strategy and roadmap, and you've collaborated and partnered effectively with several other teams.
* You are capable of leading a discussion with upper management, and are able to tailor the level of technical detail to suit your audience.
* You'll help the individuals on your team to build and execute personal development plans that align with Twitter's goals and objectives, and understand how their work fits into the bigger picture.
* Work with hardware engineering on supporting NPI and sustaining workstreams.
* You want to drive continuous improvements to our processes.
* Drive automation of existing manual process, such as firmware and component qualification.
* You have 5+ years of relevant hardware engineering or Linux systems engineering experience in a highly customer-focused environment.
* You have 2+ years experience successfully managing a team of 5-8 engineers on large-scale projects that included technical deep-dives and production troubleshooting in the areas of: hardware, firmware, storage, BIOS, BMC, and Linux.
* Experience in delivering large-scale system software development products. Deep understanding of OS concepts and internals with Linux, UNIX, and Centos/Redhat.
* B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitter is a company that provides a social networking platform.