Engineering Manager - Data and Enterprise Solutions
San Francisco, CA
Who We Are
The Data and Enterprise Solutions (DES) team's mission is to make this ever-expanding universe of social media data available via a consistent and reliable architecture so the world can realize the full potential of this amazing stream of information. If you're interested in building products that customers use daily to make key business decisions, resolve their own customers' concerns, and drive groundbreaking research, read on.
Our software collects, processes, enriches and delivers hundreds of billions of activities a day through a wide variety of social media APIs. Our products are highly available, scalable, optimized, respectful of Twitter's user base, and truly essential for our customers who build their businesses on Twitter data. We work closely with our product managers and customers to make sure we build the right products at the right time.
What You'll Do
We believe passion and personality matter. As such, we need someone who can lead teams of diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements. A successful engineering manager will:
* Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management.
* Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and not just yourself.
* Communicates early and often, building a culture of trust and collaboration that between engineers and teams across multiple offices and time zones.
* Work with the DES Product team to define the group's roadmap - creating success metrics and prioritizing the team's work in close collaboration with other engineering.
* Be an aggressive source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing candidates.
Who You Are
* You practice Servant Leadership. You believe that the real value add for leadership is not telling your team what to do, but finding out what is stopping them from unlocking their full potential as individuals, and getting them to work together as a team.
* You're flexible; not dogmatic. Able to compromise; able to work with / adapt to different styles. You deal constructively with changes in environment, changes in product requirements, etc.
* Have established a technical strategy and roadmap previously, successfully setting key performance metrics in close collaboration with other Engineering and Product Managers
* Can clearly articulate desired outcomes and motivate engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems
* Excellent communication skills and can demonstrate having collaborated with tech leads and senior engineers, Product Managers, Designers and other disciplines to deliver
* Ability to gather product & business requirements, gut checks new ideas and proposals. Proven track record establishing and driving technical advances, reducing tech debt and making significant improvements in systems
* Bonus points if you have experience doing hands-on work in at least one discipline of backend systems, distributed systems, or data science
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitter is a social networking platform.