At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
We are looking for a hands-on Engineering Manager to drive and shape the technical roadmap & delivery of our Compute platform used by all Uber developers. This person will lead the Container Runtime team.
The Compute team orchestrates & manages jobs across all the Compute clusters within all geographies (on-prem and public clouds). The Compute platform hosts all types of jobs & services: Stateless services, batch jobs (Spark, , etc) and Stateful applications.
The role involves collaborating with engineers, product managers, technical program managers and other managers to satisfy business needs and build the right set of features to enable jobs to run on the Compute hardware fleet. The ideal candidate has experience working with Security teams to build security features to keep the platform secure.
This is a new independent team that we are creating in Seattle.. The manager will work with peer Compute sub-teams in the Bay Area. The manager is expected to build & manage a team for a secure container runtime that enables Uber workloads to run side-by-side with SLA guarantees.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team What You'll Do
* Provide technical leadership & mentoring in designing & rollout of Compute Infrastructure solutions that span multiple data centers, multiple public clouds and multiple product offerings.
* Build for the next level of scale.
* Scale the Compute products and make infrastructure cost cheaper.
* Collaborate with engineers & managers in other functions like data science, machine learning, Hadoop, and autonomous vehicles.
* Build up strong relationships with people in the organization, collaborating and building trust.
* See the big picture and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies or opportunities for meaningful improvements.
* Create tech roadmap, and drive alignment on how to tackle these and deliver high leverage solutions on these at the group and organization level.
* Be a role model on acting with good judgement and responsibility.
* Raise the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing and monitoring.
* Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike.
* Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward..
What You'll Need
* 4+ Years of Experience with Backend, Compute, or Security
* 3+ Years Management of Engineering Team
About the Team
The Compute team orchestrates & manages jobs across all the Compute clusters geographies (on-prem and public clouds). The Compute platform hosts all kinds of jobs & services - Stateless services, batch jobs (Spark, , etc) and Stateful applications.
We build scalable solutions, enable user jobs be deployed anywhere in the world with the touch of a button. We build large scale cluster management solutions and job scheduling software. We build abstractions so that Uber developers do not have to worry about infrastructure and infrastructure just works for every application type.
We actively work with the open-source community and contribute back. We are at the cutting edge of technology and the team regularly presents at industry conferences.
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.