Engineering Manager- Big Data
San Francisco, CA
Who We Are:
The Data Infrastructure organization provides Twitter's internal data platform and caters to various data needs for both internal and external customers. The technologies we work on include Hadoop, Scribe, Flume, Scalding, Cascading, Summingbird, Parquet, Spark, Presto, Hive, Heron, Zeppelin, and many others. Several of these technologies were originally developed at Twitter and we actively make open source contributions for many others. We operate at a substantial scale, with multiple Hadoop clusters of 10k+ nodes each, hundreds of Petabytes of data, trillions of log messages arriving daily, and tens of thousands of jobs executed each day. We are making investments around Privacy and data adoption, embracing a hybrid cloud strategy and various data engineering initiatives. We are also investing more on our core ETL data engineering team to cater to various customer data needs which has driven significant growth in our organization and we are looking for additional managers to help us execute on these long-term bets around data engineering initiatives
Who You Are:
You have previous experience leading high-performing teams working at scale. You will also have a passion for open source software. You will enjoy pursuing novel, ambiguous problems, collaborating with a variety of diverse partners, and will bring a strong learning orientation
Ideally, you have experience with:
As engineering manager, you will lead the careers of extraordinary software developers. You'll work with internal customers across engineering at Twitter.
* Leading data engineering teams within Twitter's Data Infrastructure organization
* Developing and delivering high-impact, forward-looking roadmaps for your teams
* Communicating fearlessly to build trust with diverse stakeholders
* Contribute to a culture of technical and operational excellence
* Helping solve cross-team problems at scale
* Delighting internal customers
* Growing the skills and careers of a team of engineers
Experience and Skills
* 5+ years of experience leading software engineering teams
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering, or other technical discipline (MS/PhD is a plus)
* Comfortable managing multiple technically complex projects in parallel
* Robust project management skills, including work estimation, prioritization, planning, tracking, and retrospectives
* Excellent people manager with a record of recruiting, managing, and retaining talent
* Empathetic, self-aware, and learning-oriented leadership style
* High-judgement, data-driven decision-maker
* Strong communication skills
* Previous management experience in a high-performing, large-scale technology company
* Experience developing teams that work on large scale data infrastructure.
* Experience in data warehouse technologies, data modeling and ETL development.
* Experience in any programming language like Java, scala or Python.
* Experience with big data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Presto etc.
* Experience working on both real-time and batch processing data pipelines.
* Passion for privacy and security
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitter is a company that provides a social networking platform.