OmniSci (formerly MapD) is the pioneer in GPU-accelerated analytics, enabling businesses and government to rapidly find insights in data beyond the limits of mainstream analytics tools. What started as a radical idea at Harvard and MIT, has grown to be a platform that is changing the way major businesses and governments gain insights from massive datasets.
OmniSci has made breakthrough advancements in big data querying and visualization, by harnessing the transformative power of supercomputer-grade GPUs. Since launching our product in 2016, OmniSci has been recognized as a Gartner Cool Vendor, a Top Ten Coolest Big Data Startups by CRN, and is experiencing explosive growth in users and customers.
The company is backed by leading VCs and strategic investors, including NEA; Nvidia, GV (Google), In-Q-Tel, Tiger Global Management, Verizon Ventures and Vanedge Capital.
OmniSci is seeking an Engineering Manager - Backend Core Team to lead our high-caliber Core Engineering Team. You will be responsible for managing this team, ensuring that our database features are delivered on time with the highest levels of quality. As the Engineering Manager - Backend Core Team, you will provide technical direction to the Core Team, oversee and assign development work to each team member, and manage each development project to completion. You will also collaborate with both the Engineering and Product Management teams to articulate technical options, provide solutions, and facilitate and moderate technical debates, with the goal to resolve conflict and create buy-in. Key to this role is having a strong passion for high performance computing, with a heavy performance engineering focus.
We're big fans of hiring people who are not just great at what they do but also how they do it. Critical to our culture is building and maintaining a team that works well together and knows how to communicate effectively - not just within their own team, but also across peripheral teams.
Our office is located in downtown San Francisco, and this position will report to the VP Engineering. This position requires you to be onsite in our SF HQ and is not a remote opportunity. Local Bay Area candidates only, please.
* Collaborate with Engineering and Product Management to set development priorities
* Partition, assign, and manage development work for each member of your team
* Facilitate and moderate technical debates, and seek to resolve conflict and buy-in
* Actively participate in code reviews, and in design and architecture decisions
* Build relationships with engineers by motivating and influencing them
* Provide mentoring and feedback to help team members develop and be more effective
* Grow the team by recruiting, hiring, and assimilating new world-class engineers
* BA/BS or higher degree in Computer Science or related practical work experience.
* At least 8 years of professional work experience in software product and platform development, with at least 4 years previous management experience
* Previous proven success in building, motivating and mentoring an engineering team
* Strong working knowledge of products that are built for high volume transaction processing
* Experience with C++ development is a must; experience with GPU computing using LLVM or CUDA is a plus
* A passion for high-performance computing
* Deep knowledge of SQL and relational algebra
* Excellent people and conflict resolution skills; positive and can-do attitude
* Excellent organizational and written/verbal communication skills
* Familiarity with one or more of the following: statistics, distributed systems, or geospatial
* Experience with data analytics and/or analytics engines
* Starting and growing development teams at a startup is a HUGE plus