Areté Associates, an employee-owned company, is a growing research and development firm recognized for contributing to national security objectives by supplying innovative solutions to challenging technical problems faced by the United States. Our Corporate (Northridge, CA) office has an immediate opening for a Scientific Software Systems Engineer reporting to the Program Manager, Scientific Computing. This is an exempt non-supervisory full-time position which can reside in Chantilly, VA or Northridge, CA.
The successful candidate will be part of a team developing and delivering solutions critical to national security in the areas of remote sensing, signal processing, physics-based modeling and data analysis.
* Schedule management
* Includes tracking of capability due dates, software delivery due dates, and formal community test dates; Maintenance of schedule for internal staff and customer reference
* Requirements management
* Includes interaction with developers and product users to develop formal requirements, attendance at community working group meetings, email communication, participation in writing Requests for Change (RFCs), and maintenance of internal and external requirements documentation
* Product format management
* Includes participation in community working group meetings, solicitation of input from internal developers regarding product content, modification of governing product specification documents, email communication, and maintenance of internal and external format documentation
* Product testing/quality assurance activities
* External responsibilities include participating in community test events, addressing external questions, following up on external observations of product issues, tracking DRs, and communicating details of reported issues back to the team
* Internal responsibilities include working with developers to establish appropriate internal test procedures, developing automated tests when appropriate, coordinating testers for manual review, tracking identified issues, and communicating details of issues to the developers
* Software development process management
* External responsibilities include working with external integrators to establish delivery timelines and requirements, and to communicate software operation needs
* Internal responsibilities include working closely with software leads to develop schedules, conducting code configuration management, documenting delivery descriptions/release notes, and produce final delivery packages (including all required documentation artifacts)
* Bachelor's or Master's degree in engineering, computer science, physical sciences, or mathematics
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
* Experience with Windows and Linux operating systems
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Excellent organizational skills
* Capacity to work independently, in a team, and within an external community with minimal supervision
* Proven capability to comprehend and represent technical product specifications, software capabilities, and/or algorithm descriptions
* U.S. Citizenship and ability to acquire a security clearance
* Proficiency in C/C++ and/or Python
* Experience with configuration management and development tools such as GitLab, Bitbucket, Jira
* Proficiency with Microsoft Project
* Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or cloud computing
* Experience with Agile development processes
* An active security clearance
Areté Associates offers an excellent compensation and a full benefits package. U.S. citizenship, background screen and drug test are required to meet position eligibility. Please submit your resume on-line at: http://www.arete.com.
Areté Associates is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact Arete Associates Human Resources Representative.
Areté will consider for employment-qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.