The MITRE Corporation is a not-for-profit company that operates multiple federally funded research and development centers (FFRDCs).
We provide innovative, practical solutions for some of our nation's most critical challenges in defense and intelligence, aviation, civil systems, homeland security, the judiciary, healthcare, and cybersecurity.
Emerging Technologies Systems Engineer
The Emerging Systems Engineering Technologies Department is charged with identifying, developing and applying new technologies that can address the Government's most challenging Systems Engineering problems.
This is an opportunity for early career engineers who are highly motivated, innovative and self-directed. This position provides challenging opportunities to apply and expand one's systems architecture, modeling and tradespace analysis skills. Specific areas of interest include Model Based Engineering (MBSE, MDA, MDD, MDE), Systems of Systems, architecture modeling, analysis of complex systems, and decision support.
Day to day responsibilities
As an SE, you will have the opportunity to leverage and grow your systems engineering expertise by
* Modeling architectures of complex systems using standards-based languages (ex. SysML).
* Evaluating and comparing alternative architectures using qualitative and quantitative techniques; exploring large tradespaces.
* Articulating major uncertainties associated with systems architectures, defining risks and opportunities associated with the uncertainties.
* Supporting requirements management, interface management and architecture change management processes.
* Translating analysis results into actionable recommendations for the US Government agencies.
Must be a US citizen capable of obtaining and maintaining a US DoD clearance.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or relevant technical discipline.
* In-depth knowledge of at least one technical discipline.
* Interest in complex multi-disciplinary problems.
* Systems thinking.
* Project-based team work experience.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Ingenuity for applying a set of technical skills across multiple subject matter domains such as healthcare and defense.
* Knowledge of systems architecture and systems design and development. Understanding of modern SE methods.
* Experience with multi-disciplinary modeling and simulation (physics-level, engineering-level and/or operational-level).
* Proficiency in one or more of the programming languages for quantitative analyses (ex. MATLAB, Mathematica, Python, R).
* Knowledge of Analysis of Alternatives, Verification and Validation, Design of Experiments and data analytics.
* Object-oriented programming skills.
* Knowledge of and interest in Applied Mathematics.
* Candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Clearance.