We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we're building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven't stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We're empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let's shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. And make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We're here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business-and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Our inclusive hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint expands. In this role, you will be responsible for developing the embedded software in Square's hardware products.
* Build a common firmware platform for all of Square's hardware products
* Write code within the challenging constraints of both tiny embedded systems and much bigger platforms
* Move up the stack to write and collaborate on system-side code; including protocol design, and as well as kernel and other development on Linux/Android platforms
* Build reliable tools to support firmware development and product debugging
* Collaborate with manufacturing, electrical engineering, and release teams to develop tests to validate product features, drivers, and system functionality
* A resilient software development discipline, including modularization, documentation, and test methods
* Firmware / Embedded software development experience
* Expertise in C software development, tools, and debugging
* Understanding of common communications protocols (e.g. SPI, UART, I2C, USB), debugging practices (e.g. JTAG and associated GDB integrations), and basic electrical design principles
* BS in CS, CE, EE, or equivalent practical experience
Even better if you have experience in any of the following:
* Experience with ultra-low-power systems, especially ones that implement power + thermal management
* Experience with wireless protocols (e.g. BLE, NFC)
* Experience with 8-bit to 32-bit RISC and ARM processor
* Experience debugging issues cross functionally, using a combination of software and lab equipment such as oscilloscopes and protocol analyzers
* Experience with basic cryptography concepts and/or hardware security concepts
* Experience in developing device driver software on Linux/Android platforms
* Experience in iOS or Android application development
* Experience using Python (or similar scripting languages) in automated testing, build systems, or device firmware communication
* Experience working with CMake or similar build systems
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Square is a company providing software, hardware, and financial services products.