As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement:
Through investments in big data and analytics, Partners Healthcare Systems (PHS) is innovating and transforming the delivery of health care, research and discovery. PHS' Enterprise Research IS (ERIS http://rc.partners.org) team is tasked to provide the enterprise platform for raw data and self-service analytics necessary to derive insights and applications through development of machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities.
ERIS is immediately seeking an experienced leader with demonstrated management experience in big-data and transformative technology to develop and provide the enterprise platform of services for data repositories (data lakes) and analytics. This position will lead, in coordination with the program management office, and manage the multi-disciplinary engineering team that architects, builds, maintains and provides the data and analytics platform for Partners HealthCare. The individual will be considered a leader in the field of Data Engineering and will be able to think strategically, setting and driving consensus on direction, but also act very pragmatically with hands-on capabilities to deliver business results.
The role is challenging and varied, requiring technical, interpersonal, technology leadership and problem-solving abilities. In the course of expanding and improving the service capability, you will interface with commercial hardware and software vendors, select and deploy new technologies and provide training mechanisms for platform users.
We are seeking someone with eagerness to learn and apply technology, versatility, and breadth in technical skills and customer service skills.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provide technical leadership for the design and implementation of the infrastructure and services required for each project, identifying and recommending technology solutions.
* Lead a multidisciplinary team of Platform and Operations Managers, system engineers, data engineers and software engineers in the creation of a resilient and scalable data & analytics platform and application architecture.
* Recruiting, orienting and training team members, developing personal growth opportunities.
* Identify, evaluate and select vendors and service providers and develop a portfolio of strategic technological partners.
* Vendor relationship management, including negotiation and execution of contracts to make sure they are consistent, compliant and efficient.
* Monitor, analyze and optimize IT resource utilization, evaluating trends and anticipating requirements.
* Identifying security vulnerabilities and eliminating them with strategic solutions that increase data security
* Collaborate with departmental managers to create and oversee budgets.
* Communicating with the technology team and other departments as collaboration requires
* Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending to educational events and identifying training and certification opportunities.
* Concurrently manage several enterprise projects
* Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
* Uses the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
* Perform other duties as assigned or required by the situation and circumstances.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience required.
* 10 years in the IT field, architecting, building and maintaining large-scale and complex platforms and with strong background in IT operational management.
* 6 years managing a team of technical personnel in a position of leadership
* 4 years of demonstrated experience building or maintaining large scale data platforms using Hadoop.
* Hands-on experience or exposure to data modeling and ETL processes implementation and maintenance.
* Experience providing infrastructure support for 3rd-party and open-source applications.
* Previous experience in healthcare industry is a plus.
* Professional Certifications in Hadoop (Hortonworks, Cloudera, Databricks, etc.) or other data platforms strongly preferred.
* The ideal candidate for this position possesses proven leadership experience as IT director as well as a strong ability to problem solve and make decisions.
* Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
* Experience in controlling information technology operating and capital budgets.
* Prior experience working with agile methodologies, Scrum and Kanban are preferred, including documentation.
* Experience with the Hadoop ecosystem (YARN, HDFS, Spark, Hive, HBase) is required. Data streaming technologies such as Apache NiFi and Apache Kafka is plus.
* Managing an operations team under IT Service Management principles (using ServiceNow preferred).
* Hands-on experience writing and ETL processes on a variety of structured and unstructured data sources.
* Advanced SQL and relational databases including queries, database definition and schema design.
* In-Depth knowledge of storage technologies (NAS, SAN, Object Storage, Distributed File Systems, etc.)
* Knowledge of network equipment - Firewall, Routers, Switches and Network Protocols (TPC, IP, DHCP, HTTP, DNS)
* Proficient in High Availability and BCP concepts (Backup & Recovery, Server Clustering, Recovery Time Objectives, etc.).
* Experience or deep understanding of Infrastructure-as-Code tools (Terraform, CloudFormation, etc.) and Configuration Management tools (Puppet or Ansible preferred)
* Hands-on experience or direct exposure to Software Engineering principles and best practices - code version control, CI/CD, etc.
* Exposure to the entire application life cycle, supporting planned releases to different environments, such as QA, pre-production and production environments.
* High level of initiative and eagerness to learn new technologies.
* Familiarity with information technology security and data privacy considerations applicable to a healthcare environment is advantageous.
* Standard office environment with travel to Hospital locations in the Boston Metro area including the data centers
* As projects and priorities dictate, flexible work and off-hours are required including evening, night and weekend hours to cover events, roll-outs and special projects
* Occasionally lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
* Expected to work during core business hours, however this position may often require working beyond that to meet project deliverables and operating conditions.
About Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.