Onshape (www.onshape.com) is a well-funded, mid-size startup developing a completely new Computer Aided Design (CAD) platform, delivered globally as a SaaS, for professional mechanical designers and engineers. Think SolidWorks meets GitHub meets Google Docs. Our office is at One Alewife Center, Cambridge and a very short walk from the Alewife "T" Station. We have a fantastic team here of ~100 people. You will be working on a one-of-a-kind 3D collaborative CAD application with cutting edge cloud, web, and mobile technologies.
Join an exciting and growing startup with responsibilities for building, operating and scaling our global CAD service. Use your Java development skills to design and implement new functionality, ensure reliable performance and maintain security for the next generation of 3D designed products.
* The successful candidate will be an experienced and self-motivated software development professional, comfortable working in a complex code base on a fast-moving team.
* Work as part of the architecture team, responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining our data persistence architecture as it scales to accommodate the growth of our worldwide customer base.
* Work closely with the technical operations team to deploy, manage and scale Onshape's database clusters.
* Design, implement, test, and deliver maintainable, performant Java code for the Onshape CAD product.
* Work closely with team members to review each other's designs and implementations.
* Work as part of an agile engineering organization that uses continuous integration and agile methods to deploy new production releases every 3 weeks.
* Has the ability to find the balance between perfection and getting the job done.
* Actively seeks out problems to be solved and is willing to look for new ways of solving old or hard problems.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
* At least five years of experience in building large-scale, distributed systems in Java.
* Experience working with tuning and troubleshooting databases deployed at large scales, especially with MongoDB. Deep understanding of scaling, data safety, and performance issues.
* Attention to detail with an eye for efficiency, scalability, and maintainability.
* Substantial experience with Java 8+ and frameworks like Spring.
* Strong foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and distributed computing.
Onshape is the first and only full-cloud 3D CAD system that lets everyone on a design team work together using any web browser, phone, or tablet.