The Video Platform team designs, builds, and maintains the core of the live, interactive Twitch experience: a cost-efficient, low-latency, high quality-of-service video pipeline. Serving 100+ million users every month, resulting in hundreds of millions of hours watched, Video Platform depends on the agile and accurate analysis of over 500 billion new data points every month. Analyzing this massive and diverse data set requires an advanced data platform capable of scaling to the ingestion, processing, storage, and retrieval needs of our operation. You will build the next generation data platform serving internal customers, and will help define a new data product that will serve thousands of external AWS customers.
As Director you will lead a team of talented Data Analysts and Data Engineers, and will define and execute your vision for the future of Video Platform's data and analytics platform. Working with the AWS service toolset, your team will define and build our in-house data engineering and data analytics pipelines, allowing them to better serve both existing and new data consumers. You and your team will own widely communicating vital insights to a diverse set of stakeholders ranging from Twitch and AWS executives, product management, and engineers working on core services.
You are an experienced manager of data analysts, data scientists, and/or data engineers with a passion for building powerful tools that enable data exploration. As a data analyst or scientist, you are comfortable owning complex data exploration and knowledge generation tasks from start to finish. As a data engineer, you are comfortable building architectural roadmaps and owning large, diverse data stores. Creating alignment and communication across organizations and levels of experience comes easily.
* Attract, grow, and retain top data engineering and analytics talent
* Build out the Data Operations organization while directly mentoring both data engineering and data analytics staff
* Own the design, construction, and scaling of our internal data platform
* Take the lead in driving better data quality through automation and monitoring
* Partner with product and engineering leaders across organizations to drive product impact via knowledge generation
* Manage third-party relationships with tool vendors
* A BS/MS/PhD in a quantitative field
* 6+ years of total experience as an individual contributor and/or manager in data engineering, science, and/or analytics
* 2+ years experience in a management position with direct reports in data engineering, data science, or data analytics
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Able to apply a library of statistical techniques as different problems demand
* A strong working knowledge of the joys and pitfalls of SQL
* Strong knowledge of at least a programming language such as Python, Golang, or Scala
* Experience building and staffing new teams
* Experience with AWS, particularly EC2, Redshift, and Kinesis
* Experience with other tools such as Spark, Storm, and Airflow
* You know how to make petabytes of data easy to work with
* Familiarity with agile software and/or data processes ("data operations")
* Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
* Maternity & Parental Leave
* Flexible PTO
* Commuter Benefits
* Amazon Employee Discount
* Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
* Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
* Free Snacks & Beverages
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We're always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitch is a company that develops a social video platform and community for gamers, video game culture, and the creative arts.