University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
The Financial Planning & Analysis Team provides objective, accurate, and timely information and analyses to inform campus decision-making and strategic planning.
Our mission is to effectively manage the budgetary resources of the Berkeley campus in support of instruction, research, and public service. We're responsible for ensuring that campus budgetary policy and practice conform to federal, state, and university regulations. We work with campus academic and administrative units in assessing ongoing budget and planning issues, and establishing and monitoring controls over fund allocations. We provide decision support through cost benefit analysis, partnering with institutional research, and data reporting, analyzing, and forecasting.
Project Management, Leadership, and Engagement:
* Leverages higher education, professional and technical expertise to influence future path and design of reporting, planning and budget tools at UC Berkeley and works closely with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and the CIO to help ensure a cohesive strategy that best serves the campus.
* Actively engages and works with various internal and external campus stakeholders to identify campus needs and solve complex business challenges at the intersection of business and technology
* Works with campus leadership and stakeholders from across campus to shape the future state vision, lead organization-wide short and long-range planning processes and establish realistic technology roadmaps
* Actively drives change by leading and influencing campus stakeholders
* Independently manages the 6 stages of the software development lifecycle from workstream planning to analysis, design, development, and testing through maintenance.
* Estimates resource needs and facilitates initiative prioritization and re-prioritization with stakeholders.
* Ensures team adherence to release management and change control policies and procedures.
* Develops project plans to ensure on-time, high-quality, delivery of prioritized work according to established deadlines.
* Actively manages scope, time, and resources to achieve results.
* Provides team status reporting on a bi-weekly basis
* Leads highly complex analysis of business and user needs, documentation of business process flows, requirements, and translation into proper system requirement specifications.
* Develops high-impact presentations that clarify options, recommendations, and decision points to stakeholders to facilitate timely decisions, ensure stakeholder buy-in, and keep team deliverables on track.
* Independently creates the most complex Request for Proposal (RFP) and assist with project management activities.
* Directs, analyzes, facilitates, documents and implements work process changes.
* Determine strategy and approach for all system components, including: Product configuration, Interfaces and data conversion, Forms, models, and screens, Validation and logic, Workflow and consolidation, Integration testing, Functional roles and responsibilities; ensuring documentation and standardization of operational procedures
Supervision and Team Management:
* Recruits, trains, and manages a high performing team
* On-boards and trains new employees, recommending salary actions, terminations, and leads performance management process for team.
* Manages work schedules, approves requests for time our office (such as vacation requests) and signs off on monthly timesheets for direct reports
* Works closely with assigned HR Business Partner when receiving requests of accommodations, and when addressing personnel issues.
* Applies advanced business systems concepts to coach a team that defines highly complex Hyperion Planning systems scope and objectives based on both user needs and an educated understanding of applicable UCB business systems and industry requirements.
* Develops and obtains sign-off on functional specification documents prior to formal hand-off to tech team; review team responses to technical specifications to ensure realization of functional vision where there are no standardized policies or procedures.
* Approves and ensures unit, integration, performance and user acceptance testing activities are fully documented/auditable. Obtains and documents formal sign-offs from stakeholders as part of formal release process.
* Makes recommendations and implements decisions on issues (operational and budget processes, staff FTE, finance, human resources and space planning) that have team-wide impact.
* Establishes and assures adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements.
* Organizes team activities ensuring completion of the team work-plan on schedule and within budget constraints.
* Guides change team on approach to user support, communications, and training strategy.
* Ensures functional team availability to support change management efforts.
* Participates in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for department or department operations.
* BA/BS in Finance, Accounting, Organizational Development, Human Resources, Business or related field and/or equivalent experience.
* Demonstrated experience providing functional leadership in high-impact, enterprise-wide projects preferably in an academic, non-profit, or public sector organization.
* 5+ years of Functional / Technical experience in Hyperion Planning, managing new implementations (financial data preferred), upgrades and major module implementations that requires alignment of policy, business process remapping and optimization, and major enterprise change management
* Demonstrated ability to integrate operational reporting into business process, utilizing latest Hyperion Planning and Oracle OBIEE integrations, as well as effective partnering with data warehouse technical teams on delivering core data for business intelligence requirements across the enterprise
* Demonstrates superior written, verbal and presentation skills for influencing and facilitating sustained change.
* Requires advanced communication, organization, management and project management skills.
* Possesses advanced written and verbal communication skills to convey technical information in a clear and concise manner.
* Is able to establish priorities, goals/objectives and timelines.
* Demonstrated ability to collaboratively develop and document a human resources management plan, including teaming agreements for shared resources, as well as recruit, manage, and develop a high-performing team,
* Demonstrates superior analytical, problem-solving, project planning and implementation skills, as well as superior consulting, relationship building, and strategic thinking skills. Has an understanding of how programs relate to other business strategies and initiatives.
* Leverages significant external partnerships to provide Berkeley with best in class solutions.
* Understand business needs and how business systems can support those needs.
* Hyperion Planning, ITIL, and/or project management certifications preferred.
* Preferably 5+ years in a management or leadership role supervising a team of business and systems analysts
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University of California
University of California is a public research university system.