At Sephora, "beauty" rimes with "creativity": Always nosing out the hottest brands and spotting the freshest trends and products, we are constantly bubbling with ideas and creativity, to offer our customers an amazing beauty selection.
At Sephora, "learning" rimes with "fun": We encourage curiosity, innovation, disruptive spirit and freedom to experience. We are serious but we don't take ourselves too seriously! Our passion, our sense of detail, the extreme attention we pay to details, to the others and to our environment characterizes us and nourishes our unconventional vision of the world: a colorful, happy, and generous one! This bold attitude makes our difference.
Our objective is to make Sephora the most admired beauty retailer in the world.
Our technology team works fast and smart. With San Francisco as our home, we take bringing new tech to market seriously, developing the latest in mobile technologies, scalable architecture, and the coolest in-store client experience. We love what we do and we have fun doing it. The Technology group is comprised of motivated self-starters and true team players that are absolutely integral to the growth of Sephora and our future success.
Your role at Sephora:
The Director, Data Engineering is the leader of the data engineering department at Sephora. This person will be responsible for overseeing all data engineering related activities of the team ensuring proper execution of duties and alignment with the business's overall vision. The person will be a seasoned organizational and people leader, with deep understanding and experience of data architectures, information systems deployment and storage techniques and information management and analysis tools.
The Director, Data Engineering will work with cross functional teams across the company to provide advanced data management and analytical systems and services. The ideal candidate will not only have broad data engineering experience, but will be passionate about emerging technologies, engineering and technology best practices, recruiting and building top performing, happy and motivated teams. We are looking for someone who has a consultative mindset and is used to partner with teams across an organization, is an excellent storyteller, a motivating leader and easily able to prioritize, staff and deliver high impact, complex data projects.
* Mentor and hire a team of brilliant Data and Infrastructure Engineers to lead them through its next phase of growth.
* Analyze our existing implementation and revise, design and deliver the next generation data lake and storage architecture.
* Lead technical decisions on the team and functional area.
* Help build scalable programs that standardize information flow and increase operational capacity.
* Review, select and integrate next-generation technologies into the architectural strategy as needed.
Understand the requirements of both source and consumer systems and their respective impacts on data design.
* Implement and monitor quality control processes to ensure accuracy of data, dashboards and reports.
* Implement and drive Data Governance processes across the organization. Ensure that policies and procedures align with corporate vision.
* Ensure the development of proper training and documentation for on-boarding, maintenance and succession planning
* Work with Business, Product and Engineering partners in a consultative mindset. Analyze and revise current business practices, processes and procedures related to data and analytics. Implement and monitor processes for business-driven prioritization and delivery of incoming requests.
* Manage relationships with software and hardware vendors to understand the potential architectural impact of different vendor strategies.
* Advise business leaders by providing data-based strategic direction to identify and address business issues and opportunities.
* Cooperate closely with the Data Science / Machine Learning and Analytics teams to provide data required for developing, operationalizing, monitoring and evaluating predictive models, dashboards and reports for customer facing applications and internal use.
* Present insights to the executive leadership team. Represent the needs of the Data and Analytics team to leadership and establish strategic plans and objectives.
We're excited about you if you have:
* Bachelor's in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Finance, or other quantitative field.
* 12+ years of business intelligence and data warehouse experience (mastery of SQL, Data Warehousing, Python and experience with Big Data, stream processing and the AWS environment required)
* 8+ years experience leading multiple concurrent projects and driving initiatives in a multi-functional environment and managing people and teams in Data Warehousing.
* Experience should include projects which have built and delivered high-throughput high-capacity, secure data acquisition, processing and management systems.
* Experience gathering and exploring data from multiple sources using a scripting language (Python preferred)
* A proven track record of using quantitative analysis to impact key business or product decisions
* Exceptional problem solving skills: demonstrated ability to understand business challenges, structure complex problems, develop solutions
* A solid grasp of common statistical applications and methods (A/B tests and multivariate experiments, probabilities, regression)
* Excellent communication and story-telling skills. The ability to clearly and effectively communicate the results of complex analyses to business partners is key.
* Solid grasp of and experience with implementing and operating Software development methodologies
You'll love working here because:
* The people. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, supportive, smart, and kind leaders and teams - people you can be proud to work with.
* The product. Employees enjoy a product discount and receive free product ("gratis") various times throughout the year. (Think your friends and family love you now? Just wait until you work at Sephora!)
* The business. It feels good to win - and Sephora is a leader in the retail industry, defining experiential retail with a digital focus and creating the most loved beauty community in the world…with the awards and accolades to back it up.
* The perks. Sephora offers comprehensive medical benefits, generous vacation/holiday time off, commuter benefits, and "Summer Fridays" (half-days every Friday between Memorial and Labor Day)…and so much more.
* The LVMH family. Sephora's parent company, LVMH, is one of the largest luxury groups in the world, providing support to over 70 brands such as Louis Vuitton, Celine, Marc Jacobs, and Dior.
Working at Sephora's Field Support Center (FSC)
Our North American operations are based in the heart of San Francisco's Financial District, but you won't hear us call it a headquarters - it's the Field Support Center (FSC). At the FSC, we support our stores in providing the best possible experience for every client. Dedicated teams cater to our client's every need by creating covetable assortments, curated content, compelling storytelling, smart strategy, skillful analysis, expert training, and more. It takes a lot of curious and confident individuals, disrupting the status quo and taking chances. The pace is fast, the fun is furious, and the passion is real. We never rest on our laurels. Our motto? If it's not broken, fix it.
Sephora is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military/veteran status, or disability status. Sephora is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
Sephora will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
Part of the LVMH group, Sephora numbers:
* 17,000 references
* 6 million visitors annually to our Champs-Elysées flagship store
* more than 300 stores in France and around 2,000 points of sale in the world
* 27,000 employees - 4,500 of them in France
Are you willing to join us? What you will find: trainings, challenges, constant possibilities of evolution.The adventure starts here: Come sephorize the world with us!
Sephora is a company operating a chain of personal care and beauty stores.