R1 is a leading provider of revenue cycle management services and Physician Advisory Services to healthcare providers. We are the largest independent end-to-end revenue cycle provider and have the longest operating history in the revenue cycle industry. R1's objective is to be the one trusted partner to manage revenue so providers and patients can focus on what matters most. Our distinctive operating model and values includes people, processes, and sophisticated integrated technology/analytics that help customers realize sustainable improvements in their operating margins and improve the satisfaction of their patients, physicians, and staff. We are dedicated to transforming the commercial infrastructure and patient experience in healthcare.
R1 has recently launched a Digital Transformation Office (DTO) focused applying the optimal technical lever to drive step-wise change in how we deliver services to our clients. The Director of Data Science and Machine Learning will take a leadership role in the DTO and be responsible for driving our overall machine learning strategy, implementing / optimizing the ecosystem of technologies being applied to current opportunities, managing the delivery of these solutions, and supporting continual improvement of existing models. This role will work closely with Engineering, Architecture, Product, and Executive leaders across the organization to accomplish these objectives. A successful candidate must have demonstrated prior success in implementing machine-learning approaches to solve real-world business problems and driving meaningful business value.
* Understand R1's current machine learning approach and strategy and make recommendations based on industry leading practices
* Quickly begin to deliver amazing data science products, developing creative solutions to our biggest data science and engineering challenges
* Build machine learning infrastructure and models (e.g. recommendation engines, statistical models, NLP engines) that drive activity on our platform, scale our business, and enhance the client and user experiences.
* Work closely with business and technical and data science teams to gather, analyze and understand business requirements, translate activities and objectives into analytical models and algorithm codes for application in production scale environment
* Perform analysis on existing data and suggest new potential data set to identify and develop innovative advanced analytics opportunities
* Architect, document, develop, code, and test data science modules into scalable solutions in a big data environment
* Manage, mentor, and develop a team of data scientists, and ML engineers (potentially both internal and external staff)
* Provide technical guidance and mentorship, train and mentor junior colleagues
* Engage and develop staff with advanced degrees and diverse backgrounds
* Allocate resources based on priority and skill level, strengths, and area of expertise
* Set and manage expectations to ensure successful completion of goals and timelines
* Work with multi-functional teams to access data elements, understand the data being analyzed, and identify improvement opportunities for data ingestion process
* Facilitate and identify repeatable testing strategies for measuring results produced by analytics models
* Communicate complex machine learning ideas, designs, and processes to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
* Provide vision and solutions regarding data storage and optimization
* In short, own all phases of the data science product lifecycle (exploratory data analysis, model development, model productionizing, rollout, and evaluation)
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, or other related technical field (or equivalent experience)
* Five to Seven (5-7) years of professional experience
* At least three (3) years of experience in data science, data engineering, machine learning, and API-based solution architecture
* At least two (2) years of hands-on experience in architecting, developing and implementing advanced analytics models and machine learning algorithms for scalable production environments
* Demonstrated track record of leading the delivery of successful and innovative machine learning products, working independently and with key stakeholders
* Expert level understanding of core ML/Statistics/CS principles
* Strong skills in statistical languages (e.g. Python/R) and querying languages (e.g. SQL).
* Knowledge of modern data integration approaches such as Application Programing Interfaces (APIs) and Microservices
* Strong communication skills to own and share strategy, findings and key results across both technical and business stakeholders
* Master's degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, or other related technical field (or equivalent experience)
* Experience with healthcare and/or revenue cycle management applications
* Knowledge of the healthcare data and integration standards (e.g. EDI, FHIR, HL7)
R1 is a provider of technology-enabled revenue cycle management (RCM) services.