Applicants are advised that relocation of our Washington, D.C. metropolitan area offices is in progress, from offices near the White House and in Herndon, Virginia, to Capitol Hill and Tysons, Virginia. Anticipated completion in summer 2019.
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 62,000 pilots at 33 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Digital Designer for our Herndon, Virginia, office. The Digital Designer provides web design and creative services to advance and support the Association's cyber goals through development and maintenance of ALPA's public and secured websites. S/he supports the mission, vision, and values of the Association and, in all efforts, seeks to enhance the image of the Association.
Day-to-day s/he works on Association-wide projects, creating web sites in collaboration with IT Development. Recurrent responsibilities include, and are not limited to, web design, maintenance, and email design. The majority of his/her work requires a comprehensive skill set and a strategic, thought-driven process to create websites that reflect the macro view of the Association's goals, vision, and values.
Interested applicants will be requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Local and national travel: 5 - 10%.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
* Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Digital Media, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field, preferred, from an accredited college or university; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
* Minimum three (3) years of experience and demonstrated expertise in web design and content, five (5) or more years strongly preferred.
* Software: Proficiency in Content Management Systems, preferably Sitecore and DNN. Proficiency with Adobe Suite for web publishing and graphic design including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook preferred.
* Proficiency in HTML, CSS, and familiarity with other markup and/or programming languages.
* Graphic design and typography skills, especially in composing websites and emails.
* Knowledge of web standards, browser compatibility issues, and accessibility issues.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots.
* Knowledge of labor-related issues preferred.
* Ability to test and troubleshoot software and work in a Windows-based environment.
* Strong proofreading and organizational skills.
* Ability to understand and decipher information and documents of a technical nature.
* Knowledge of UX/UI design a plus.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Vision, corrected or uncorrected, must be acute and discriminating. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position for long periods of time; move about the office and the local metropolitan area; determine what others have said or written; and, converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office. May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack and/or move the shipping cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Relocation not provided.
Sponsorship not available for this position.