TEAM AND ROLE OVERVIEW
At 15Five, we are moving from a pet to cattle frame of mind. We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to take us from our current position to the next generation of infrastructure, whether that be immutable infrastructure, Docker/Kubernetes, or serverless.
We have a small team of developers whose time is partly dedicated to DevOps tasks. This has been working well for quite some time. With our company growing over 100% in the last year, we are now tasked with stepping up our performance, reliability, and security. This new team member will be our guide.
KEY AREAS OF FOCUS
* Overseeing the evolution of infrastructure
* Ensuring deployment pipelines are robust and functioning
* Communicating with leadership on state of infrastructure
* Meeting our current and future customers' demands for high availability, integrity and confidentiality of their data.
* Manage a technical team of 3 to 5 developers
* Apply experience of DevOps/SRE best practices to achieve highly available and reliable systems
* Participate in the processes of strategic project-planning meetings. In addition to providing guidance and expertise on system options, risk, impact and costs vs. benefits, you will create and share operational requirements and development forecasts to allow for timely and accurate planning of projects.
* Prioritizing requests from operations, development, and product teams fairly
* Someone who cares about their team, shows exemplary personal respect, and is willing to coach and develop trust
Infrastructure / Amazon Web Services Responsibilities
* Plan for the future capacity needs of the application
* Optimize performance of application within constraints of cloud infrastructure.
* Improve implemented monitoring services for increased visibility of application performance
* Consistently exceed SLA obligations
* Contribute to the development of your own and teams technical acumen
* Develops and maintains a network of industry contacts to stay abreast of industry trends, competitors, business, and technology products
* Identify security issues and risks, and develop mitigation plans
* Design systems taking into account ISO 27001/2 best practices and other security and privacy considerations in mind
* Conduct systems tests for security and performance
* Improve and maintain current CI/CD pipelines, process, and automation enabling development teams to deploy regularly while maintaining high performance levels
* Develop solutions for software, process, people, and practices for build release, application lifecycle changes, operation service delivery and support.
* Experience with devops tools and technologies such as CircleCI, Ansible, Terraform, Consul, Packer, Kubernetes
DESIRED IMPACT BY THE (3) MONTH MARK
* Complete 15Five's new-hire on-boarding and job-specific training for the Senior DevOps Engineer role.
* Identify needs for your team and role and build our your OKRs for the quarter
* Direct current DevOps efforts towards completing DevOps OKRs
DESIRED IMPACT BY THE (6) MONTH MARK:
* Restructure processes to increase availability of application
* Continued improvement of monitoring of application
DESIRED IMPACT BY THE (12) MONTH MARK
* Complete move to projected infrastructure model
SNAPSHOT OF A WEEK-IN-THE LIFE
* Monday: Update postgres, review team members 15Five's, monitor production. Use company health benefit to go to my favorite gym after work.
* Tuesday: Answer questions from team members, misc tasks, plan for biweekly sprint
* Wednesday: Attend company boost meeting with relaxing meditation at start. Complete regularly scheduled tasks. Use 4h of flexible time off to attend your daughter's school play.
* Thursday: Finish up DEV-4521 to make CI workflow faster. Get a bunch of High Fives from engineering team!
* Friday: Attend company Question Friday with peace of mind that production is well taken care of. Servers have been placed into an auto scaling group and will size up appropriately with the heavy Friday traffic.
* 7+ years of progressive work experience as a DevOps engineer
* 2+ years of DevOps leadership experience
* 5+ years experience with AWS services and Linux
* Experience with common development workflows using GIT
* Proficiency in Python, Bash, or other scripting language
* Experience with Systems Monitoring/Alerting (Nagios, PagerDuty, New Relic, Grafana, Kibana)
* Experience implementing Continuous Integration Infrastructures like CircleCI
* Experience managing PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch/Kibana
* Demonstrated Infrastructure as Code experience with Terraform a plus
* Excellent oral and written English communication skills
15FIVE UNIVERSAL ATTRIBUTES
* Openness to vulnerability, self-reflection and receiving radically candid feedback to grow personally and professionally
* Curious and committed to innovation and continuous learning and growth
* Self-motivated, self-responsible and self-accountable
This is a full-time, salaried exempt position. The typical work week will be Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm (flexible) , working an expected 40 hours/week. Due to this role supporting recruiting in varying time zones, there may be some early morning or after hours meeting requirements. This position is based in New York, New York.
15Five is a company providing performance management software.