Comcast Technology Solutions' purpose is to be the most valued partner to those leading the future of media and technology. Leveraging the most complete portfolio of capabilities, unmatched expertise and Comcast's unrivaled infrastructure, we help customers thrive in a rapidly evolving multi-platform world by powering extraordinary experiences to every screen. If you share a passion for contributing your talents to empowered teams, possess an entrepreneurial spirit and are driven by imagination and possibilities, we want to develop and grow your career at Comcast Technology Solutions.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services?
Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
As a DevOps engineer on the VIPER Operations team, you will develop and utilize tools and infrastructure to assure highly performant service delivery on our core service delivery infrastructure which delivers stunningly new video experiences at a massive scale. The VIPER Operations team is a new, small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the DevOps engineer work with?
DevOps engineers are positioned within collaborative scrum teams that consists of Operation, Development, and Engineering. We work with network engineers, systems administrators, software engineers, and a pile of technically-adept-but-not-actually-technical product folks. The VIPER Operations team is a diverse collection of operational systems engineers from all walks of life. We're a group of experienced technical minds who are the last word when it comes to solving problems encountered by our production support teams.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In your role, you will be responsible for the operation of our core IP Video platforms. Trace defects through a cutting edge service oriented architecture to find root cause. Develop scripts and utilities to automate data collection from hundreds or thousands of nodes. Query big data stores (Splunk, Hadoop, MemSQL) to quantify the scope of reported issues. Create new metrics and identify monitoring deliverables to improve site reliability. Evaluate new code releases for basic reliability and systems integration support, providing guidance to QA teams who will perform functional and load testing.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast while rolling out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages.
* Day-to-day 24x7 support of our Cloud Infrastructure that delivers IP based cDVR, iVOD, and ipPPV to our customers.
* On-Call responsibilities
* Work with engineering teams on more efficient ways to automate and operate our infrastructure.
* Assist in all deployments of new services, and capacity augments.
* Development and maintain a capacity model for our every growing Cloud architecture.
* Participate in the ground up design and planning for all future products and services for Comcast's IP Video platform.
* Troubleshooting errors with proprietary and open source applications in production and pre-production environments
* Identifying, implementing, and documenting of technical SOPs for maintenance tasks
* Monitor the health and status of systems under your management
* Ability to create and maintain policies, standards and overall system documentation
Here are some of the specific technologies used in our architecture:
* Cisco UCS + VMWare
Skills & Requirements
* 3+ years' service operations
* Experience with a variety of Software and Hardware operating environments
* Experience with Couchbase, Apache Wed Services, Video transcoding, Video stream package management, and DRM technologies
* Experience in troubleshooting complex technical issues
* Experience in Linux environments
* Experience with Go programming, MemSQL, Docker and Kubernetes
* Experience with a scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl or Bash)
* Familiarity with at least one monitoring/logging tool (e.g. Splunk, OP5, Nagios or Sysdig)
* Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
* Great design and problem solving skills
* Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
* Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
About Comcast VIPER
VIPER(Video IP Engineering & Research), is a division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer