Button's mission is to be "the better way" in mobile commerce. Today we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world, connecting customers through higher-quality, better-performing user experiences. We process billions of requests per month on systems built with a strong bias towards stability and reliability, yet we balance this with curiosity and a willingness to experiment and take risk.
To date, our infrastructure has been developed by the same engineers that lead and build our product. Because of this, you will have the unique advantage of joining an engineering team with broad production experience and a deep-seated appreciation for the things which keep the pager quiet. Fast deploys, excellent monitoring, continuous peer review, and a mystery-free working environment are all things we hold especially dear. (You can read about some of the things we've built on our engineering blog.)
As a DevOps Engineer at Button, you'll be responsible for evolving our production infrastructure. Your mission will be to keep our production environment happy, healthy, and high-throughput. Far from being alone in this mission, you'll work closely with our Product Engineering team, sharing best practices, advice, and expertise in both directions.
AS A DEVOPS ENGINEER AT BUTTON YOU WILL:
* Manage and monitor most aspects of our production serving environment. We're a big AWS shop, and we make heavy use of ECS, RDS, ELB, ALB, Ansible, and Terraform in production.
* Be the go-to partner to Product Engineering teams for their infrastructure needs. For example, you may help to stand up a new cluster, scale a system that is outgrowing its load, or oversee periodic maintenance events as each of these arise.
* Evolve our infrastructure-as-code practices. We use Ansible, Terraform, and have written a small handful of other tools where off-the-shelf tools didn't fit the bill.
* Identify, measure, and monitor key system metrics. We use Prometheus for application monitoring, ELK for logging, and strive for an alerting culture that keeps the pagers quiet and the alerts rooted in an actionable customer-facing syndrome.
WE LOOK FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
* Production experience with AWS. You don't need to be an expert with every product - who is? - but we are looking for someone with a good baseline understanding of core products like EC2, ECS, EKS, ELB/ALB, and similar.
* Fluency in and around Linux systems. You should be comfortable in a variety of troubleshooting situations that involve the health of the underlying system. Fluency in and around traditional SQL databases. You're comfortable understanding and debugging situations like slow queries and failed migrations.
* A security- and safety-oriented mindset. You have good instincts for how to balance empowering developers versus maintaining a principle of least necessary privilege.
* An ability to move fast, make decisions, and take a pragmatic approach to any problem. We know there are lots of ways to accomplish the same goal; you'll find and champion the best approaches for our team.
YOU WILL WORK WITH:
* James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
* Mike Wakerly, CTO: Mikey is Button's Hawaiian shirt enthusiast and Chief Technology Officer. A former Googler and a San Francisco transplant, he loves mountain biking, tinkering on electronics, and any excuse to take a road trip.
* Jiaqi Liu, Tech Lead: is responsible for several backend and data engineering projects. An avid Pythonista and a frequent speaker at conferences large and small, outside of work she loves to mentor at hackathons and organize meet-ups for Women Who Code.
MORE ABOUT US:
* Button was founded in 2014. We believe and invest in individual and organizational growth, and we've got the results to back it up. We've raised over $64 million in venture capital and have been recognized year after year as one of the best places to work by Fortune, Inc., Entrepreneur, and Crain's.
* We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Some of our teammates hail from big tech companies like Google and Uber, other tech startups, and big finance companies. And for several folks on our team, Button is their first tech job. Regardless of where you're from, we look for teammates excited to grow with one of our core team values: "We are all students and we are all teachers".
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work-regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
About Button, Inc.
Button is an acquisition and retention platform built for the mobile economy.