About this role
About BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory Business
Blackrock's Financial Markets Advisory (FMA) group provides a differentiated range of advisory services by leveraging the firm's capital markets, data and risk analytics, technology, and financial modeling capabilities.
FMA advises financial institutions, regulators and government entities on their most critical and often most complex financial issues. We work with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and utilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures as well as a wide range of other strategic, regulatory and operational challenges.
Our technology and analytical infrastructure help us provide a unique value proposition for our clients. We leverage our Aladdin® platform in addition to the firm's sophisticated capital markets, risk analytics, data management and financial modeling capabilities to deliver results-oriented consulting and advisory skills.
FMA was established in 2008 to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since inception, we have completed over 650 assignments for more than 250 unique clients in over 35 countries.
Our professionals are spread across geographies and time zones to serve clients in all locations and respond to urgent needs as they arise. For assignments demanding cross-disciplinary expertise, we unite professionals from multiple offices to deliver the most effective team for any client situation.
FMA operates behind an informational barrier, separating it from the firm's traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
The Markets & Analytics Group (MAG) within FMA is responsible for leading and executing efforts on capital markets, data, analytics, modeling, and technology.
* Design and execute development efforts across client engagements
* Apply innovative approaches in the implementation of technology infrastructure, including crafting tactical short-term and strategic long-term analytics solutions based on client requirements and timelines
* Play a hands-on role in client project execution by creating content, serving as a thought leader and providing solutions-based advice for our clients
* Demonstrate broad experience and flexibility across programming platforms considering client objectives and constraints in conjunction with internal skills, expertise and infrastructure
* Ensure a rigorous focus on automation in the creation of new processes and in the analysis of existing processes to improve efficiency, accuracy, and scale of analytical frameworks and to reduce operational risk
* Collaborate with other technical teams at BlackRock to understand and leverage BlackRock's technology infrastructure
* Help drive technology and development best practices across the team throughout the software development lifecycle
* Stay abreast of relevant new technology and development trends
Skills / Qualifications
* 5+ years of software development experience within the financial services industry
* Strong programming skills in Python required; additional experience with a variety of other programming languages, especially scripting, data management, database, and visualization tools a plus, e.g. R, Oracle, Spark, Java, C++, etc.
* Understand design patterns and fundamental software design principles
* Experience in the design and development of database functionality including schema configuration, table normalization, relation design, and functional development for SQL and NoSQL databases
* Experience with data analysis and visualization libraries, e.g. scipy, numpy, pandas, plotly, R Shiny, ggplot, etc.
* Knowledge of Unix / Linux environments, as well as containerized deployment
* Understanding of financial institutions, fixed income assets, and capital markets, including familiarity with relevant bank balance sheet considerations and regulatory requirements (e.g. stress testing)
* Strong communication skills; able to collaborate closely with and message clearly with colleagues possessing a range of technical skills, as well as with external clients
* Excellent analytical, problem solving and project management skills
* Willingness to think outside the box and interest in learning / researching new approaches for addressing client opportunities
* Familiarity across the software development lifecycle (testing, deployment, and production release) and associated tools, especially version control software, in a professional environment, e.g. Jira, Git
* Superior organizational skills, self-starter and ability to perform under pressure and manage tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
* BA / BS degree in an engineering / technical discipline, e.g. Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, etc.
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2019, the firm managed approximately $6.52 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit @blackrock | Blog: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
BlackRock is an investment management company.